Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
1.5 yr old won't stay in bed

solo

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 5:32 pm
Dd started climbing out of his bed at 1.5. After a few weeks of spending all nap time and much of the night returning him to his crib, we switched to a toddler bed - so that he can climb back in to bed on his own, and installed a baby gate at the doorway - so he can't wander.
I've been keeping the same jammies, bottle, song, tuck into bed routine. Also on as I put him into bed he gets out. I now sit at the edge of his bed for a few minutes. as long as I'm there he climbs out and I return him to bed. Then I hurry to the gate and lock it. He cries or fusses for a few min and settles himself. Thing is hes stubborn and strong and it's only a matter of time before he's able to open or climb over the baby gate.
I know he's tired n ready for bed. But he's also very active and impulsive. How can I get him to stay in his bed when it's bed time.

Queen6

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 7:13 pm
I know this sounds mean but you need to buy those special doorknobs and lock him in the room Sad make sure the room is empty so he can't hurt himself. He will fall asleep on the floor probably and learn eventually.
I know it sounds mean but a child must sleep at night.

solo

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 8:15 am
The room is baby proofed and he is stuck in his room for the night because he hadn't yet figured out how to get passed the baby gate. But I'm sure he will soon. Also he's in his own room right now, but soon he'll be bunking up to make room for a new baby. Any ideas for teaching him to stay in his bed?

queenert

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 8:32 am
Try giving him a book/quiet game to entertain himself in bed.
It's not foolproof but it helps.
Sometimes even just knowing it's there is enough to keep my daughter in bed. She's so tired but she's just resisting cuz she loves being in the action. Once she knows she has something enjoyable to do, she nods and snuggles up, totally ignoring the book.
Also, make sure you never use his bed/room as a punishment. It may also help spend some play time there during the day so it becomes a good, fun place to be.

Stars

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 8:38 am
Do not lock your child in his room. Ever.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 8:50 am
Duct tape. It's the only way. Wink

It's a phase that all kids go through. The only thing you can do is be firm and consistent. If you have to, buy a taller gate, the kind that you screw into the doorway.

I don't like the idea of a closed door, so a really strong gate is your best option here.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 8:57 am
Why is a 1-1/2 yr old in a bed and not a crib?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:02 am
amother wrote:
Why is a 1-1/2 yr old in a bed and not a crib?

Some kids can easily climb out of a crib by that age, no matter how much you lower the mattress. Some kids are stronger, more motivated, and more stubborn than others, and can do things you'd never expect them to do at that age. In that case, it's safer just to put the bed on the floor, so he won't fall and hurt himself.

Search YouTube for videos of "baby climbing out of crib". You'll be amazed!

Happydance

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:15 am
When he comes out, calmly with no emotion pout him back in his bed, then walk out of room. Repeat as needed. Sometimes it took up to twenty times, but then it worked. Each night got less and less until they stay
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics