Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Laundry room - counter

mommy08

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 7:07 pm
Do you have a counter to fold laundry in your designated laundry room? Is it really worthwhile to have vs folding in a bedroom or elsewhere? Debating back and forth whether it's necessary or not!

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:09 pm
mommy08 wrote:
Do you have a counter to fold laundry in your designated laundry room? Is it really worthwhile to have vs folding in a bedroom or elsewhere? Debating back and forth whether it's necessary or not!

If you have a designated laundry room then you should be able to fold your laundry there and not have to mess up other rooms.
If your washer and dryer are side by side you can use the top to fold. If not you can install an inexpensive drop down folding counter on the wall that doesn't take up space when not in use.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:13 pm
I just have a folding table next to my washer/dryer. Very useful

cm

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:15 pm
Even though I have a counter for folding, I still use the sofa or bed as I like to have more room.

workaholicmama

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:19 pm
Best and smartest thing I did in my new house was buying by home depot cabinets and a 7 ft counter. Its used not only for folding laundry but for many many other uses. In the cabinets I keep sewing supplies, detergents, miscellaneous stuff. In the drawers we keep rags, pens/writing supplies, batteries, etc.

If you have the space for it, I feel its a very smart investment. (It cost us about $1000, but worth every penny)

workaholicmama

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:20 pm
cm wrote:
Even though I have a counter for folding, I still use the sofa or bed as I like to have more room.

When I have more laundry than usual, (like this week😃) I do use a table, but usually the counter is enough.

Coffee Addict

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:34 pm
I have a big size counter and I love it! I use it for other things too, like polishing the silver....

amother
Gold

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:39 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If you have a designated laundry room then you should be able to fold your laundry there and not have to mess up other rooms.
If your washer and dryer are side by side you can use the top to fold. If not you can install an inexpensive drop down folding counter on the wall that doesn't take up space when not in use.

I had planned to do this, but ended up with large washing machines (which I don't regret), so a counter over the machines isn't really a comfortable height for folding (I guess depends on how tall you are as well).
I wish I'd considered this issue when I planned my laundry room.

L K

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:43 pm
amother wrote:
I had planned to do this, but ended up with large washing machines (which I don't regret), so a counter over the machines isn't really a comfortable height for folding (I guess depends on how tall you are as well).
I wish I'd considered this issue when I planned my laundry room.

Gold, how big and high are your machines, and do you use space over the machines?

L K

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:44 pm
Guys whoever has laundry room downstairs, what baskets do you use to put folded laundry into and take upstairs in?

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:48 pm
L K wrote:
Guys whoever has laundry room downstairs, what baskets do you use to put folded laundry into and take upstairs in?

It has handles, is soft and pliable for bumping, folds into a tiny round disk
http://www.amazon.com/Bajer-De.....asket

sky

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:04 pm
I have something called a Lamper - in between a hamper and laundry basket - I originally bought it for that purpose.
But in the end I do laundry downstairs twice a week - fill the laundry basket, hamper and lamper. Carry it upstairs and fold it all on the upstairs beds.
in between loads I use them to collect laundry in various rooms.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:11 pm
I have a long counter. Laundry comes out of the dryer and dumped on the counter. Under the counter are built in basket like drawers. Each family member has their own and all I do is sort their underwear and socks into their baskets and they are responsible to bring it to their rooms. Most of us just get dressed straight from the laundry drawers and rarely bring it to our rooms because the laundry room is near the bedrooms. (Shirts and pants I am nice enough to fold and put away.) I love it. Above the counter I have a high shelf and hanging space for wet laundry.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:19 pm
L K wrote:
Gold, how big and high are your machines, and do you use space over the machines?

Almost 39" high (kitchen counters are 36")
I haven't put anything above them yet, but will probably put a rod for hanging shirts, or some shelving, or both.

L K

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:20 pm
amother wrote:
It has handles, is soft and pliable for bumping, folds into a tiny round disk
http://www.amazon.com/Bajer-De.....asket

Wow, it wouldn't survive long in my house!
I use sturdy sterilite baskets of 3 various sizes and a couple other hampers/laundry baskets.

But laundry nook is now upstairs, so there's no issue of shleping bulky and heavy full baskets up and down the stairs. I may be moving to a house with laundry downstairs, so wondering in advance

L K

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:39 pm
sky wrote:
I have something called a Lamper - in between a hamper and laundry basket - I originally bought it for that purpose.
But in the end I do laundry downstairs twice a week - fill the laundry basket, hamper and lamper. Carry it upstairs and fold it all on the upstairs beds.
in between loads I use them to collect laundry in various rooms.

I've googled "lamper", and I actually have a few of them. Love them, they're a great capacity and easy to carry.
I use them mostly to collect dirty laundry in one room, and for holding linen and towels, both before and after wash.
The only thing I can put folded into them though is linen, towels. Everything else would get messed up because they're really deep.

L K

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:44 pm
amother wrote:
Almost 39" high (kitchen counters are 36")
I haven't put anything above them yet, but will probably put a rod for hanging shirts, or some shelving, or both.

That's quite high, especially for a petite person.

I have a white wire rack over machines now, it's really convenient for both hanging wet laundry and storing supplies on.

I'm actually surprised it hasn't fallen off with the tremendous load that I keep on it. Guess that wall happens to be a strong one!

I Would totally install something like this if I were designing a laundry room in own house.

greenfire

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:56 pm
who has the back to stand up and fold laundry ...

summer0808

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 10:40 am
I have closets in my laundry room. In one I divided the bottom for sorted hampers. The other has a shelf and no drawers underneath so I can sit at the shelf and fold laundry. When there's a lot I can use the top of the washer/dryer but then I have to stand.

can you tell I was pregnant when designing my laundry room?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry