Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Chestnut Ridge

amother
Purple

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:47 pm
We are a non yeshivish, but frum professional couple. Husband went to YSV and all he good yeshivos, I went to mainstream Brooklyn BY schools.
We would like to know more about Chestnut Ridge.
Including the cost, the zip code we should look for housing, the property taxes, what people do about schooling, whether or not my kids would get into YSV (DH and family are alumni), job opportunities for therapists, commute to Manhattan etc.
would we feel comfortable moving with no friends- is it warm and welcoming? how are the shuls?
Any other hidden costs?
where are most couples from? Like background/yeshivas, from where etc
is real estate climbing (we plan on buying iyh in two-three years but would like to start looking for the right place for us now)?
any advice would be greatly appreciated!! thanks

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 11:45 pm
I'd say you should rather look at Hillcrest or New Hempstead.http://www.newupthehill.com/

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 11:56 pm
All the schools in Monsey are over full - start working on that end before you buy. I don't know your budget but Pomona is very up and coming - beautiful wooded properties and still not overpriced

gande

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 1:46 am
As far as I'm concerned Chestnut Ridge is becoming chassidish and the prices are rising quickly.

nyer1

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:52 am
my non chassidish friend just moved thre with her hubby and two kids. they are I guess modern yeshivish, whatever that means. they said theres a lot of young couples moving in and has a great vibe. I also have friends in wesley hills which is another great neighborhood.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 11:20 am
Every area around Monsey except for down the hill is a mixture of Chassidish litvish etc

gold21

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 12:40 pm
Monsey in general is gradually turning over, neighborhood by neighborhood, to chassidish/modern chassidish. There are still litvish neighborhoods, some which are young and growing, but its hard to project long term dynamics of the different areas because of this trend.

In chestnut ridge, I would suggest you look into the Scotland Hill area. Supposed to be really nice and friendly.

Other than that, check out Wesley Hills and the New-Up-The-Hill area that someone linked above. (By the way, I think the website for New-Up-The-Hill may be a few years old, as I believe it has grown more than indicated on the website.)

thunderstorm

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 1:29 pm
gold21 wrote:
Monsey in general is gradually turning over, neighborhood by neighborhood, to chassidish/modern chassidish. There are still litvish neighborhoods, some which are young and growing, but its hard to project long term dynamics of the different areas because of this trend.

In chestnut ridge, I would suggest you look into the Scotland Hill area. Supposed to be really nice and friendly.

Other than that, check out Wesley Hills and the New-Up-The-Hill area that someone linked above. (By the way, I think the website for New-Up-The-Hill may be a few years old, as I believe it has grown more than indicated on the website.)

I agree with Scotland Hill area for OP....but the prices are rising. I bought last year and my home is valued over 100K more by now, which is crazy....if you wait 2-3 years it may be too late. And people from YSV that were alumni were turned away because there is just not enough space in any school....schools are a huge issue. My SIL had kids out of school for over a year when she moved to Monsey take that into account!!! Chasidish ppl have more of an issue with it, but it's a problem all around

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 3:59 pm
gold21 wrote:

Yes. Yes. I posted this on another thread: We were nearly going to buy there. It's a beautiful community. I'd suggest you contact them via the website, or you can make a visit and meet some people.

Maya

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 4:00 pm
amother wrote:
Every area around Monsey except for down the hill is a mixture of Chassidish litvish etc

Where is down the hill? LOL

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 4:04 pm
Maya wrote:
Where is down the hill? LOL

The other side of 306, where the slums are... LOL

Maya

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 4:06 pm
amother wrote:
The other side of 306, where the slums are... LOL

Oh, you mean that there it's exclusively Chassidish, no mix at all.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 4:25 pm
Maya wrote:
Oh, you mean that there it's exclusively Chassidish, no mix at all.

I'm not the amother who coined that name, but yeah, you got it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating