Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Can I ask my employer to pay for a new laptop?

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 7:01 am
I work from home doing customer service. I've been using my own laptop till now, but it seems that I will need a new one soon. Can I ask/ expect my employer to pay for a new one considering that I need it to get the job done?

mille

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 7:10 am
You can certainly ask (and the answer might very well be no), but I don't think you can expect it if you were hired with your employer under the impression you'd be using your personal computer only. That said, if you do buy a new computer, maybe it can be a work expense on your taxes? Might be worth asking an accountant.

cm

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 7:41 am
Your employer may choose to purchase one for you to use, but owned by the company (more likely for a larger company). Expect strict limitations on what you can do with it.

shooting star

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 4:36 pm
I don't know where you are from but supplying our own equipment vs. your employer supplying equipment can make a difference if you are an employee vs. contract worker.

Typically where I live (in Canada):

Contract workers: supply own equipment (and have choice of workplace)
Employees: use employer's equipment (do not have choice of workplace but may telecommute)

It's actually considered part of the "litmus test" for tax purposes to know if your employer is responsible for paying your taxes. Not sure what your tax laws are but local to me, the expectation would be that the employer supplies the equipment. Also local to me, if you work from home and are considered an employee you are entitled to tax benefits for home office expenses provided that your employer fills out a form. If you are paying for your phone, and internet to do this job then I second contacting the accountant.

If telecommuting was optional, and an office with equipment is available typically available (but you choose not to use it in favour of working from home), I'm not sure if it would be bad etiquette to ask.

What was your original arrangement?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers