Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning lady - fast but cursory - can she be trained?

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 11:06 am
I tried out a new cleaning lady today. She was super-fast, and did more in 2 hours than I ever would have thought possible.
But I'm looking at what she did, and I see that things aren't completely clean: she wiped down the bathtub but left hair all around the drain, there are still some dirty spots on kitchen floor, the kitchen counters look clean but when you run your hands over them they don't feel smooth and clean.

I'm not super-picky, and when I was warned that she was fast but not that thorough it sounded good, but this just doesn't feel like a complete job.

Is this something that can be taught - to spend more time getting things done all the way instead of running through them, or is it just a personality and I should keep looking? How can it be taught? We don't speak the same language, and she has a rather abrasive personality as it is ... I don't want to come across as insulting or demanding.

amother
Green

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 12:08 pm
Maybe you can give her a list of the things she can get done in the time she was there if she did them completely. Like I would be able to clean both bathrooms thoroughly and dust the house very well in two hours. Something like that. If she is done in 15 minutes you can look back and say oh you missed this or that please do it. Just emphasis you value quality over quantity.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 12:34 pm
Sometimes it depends on what her previous employers wanted. It could be they wanted as much done as possible, and do more thorough jobs only when specified.
You have to explain it in a way that will not hurt her feelings, her seem criticizing.
Before she starts an area you can tell her what you want cleaned in the room (don't just say clean the bathroom). Go in the room and show her specifically what you want done and that you want it thorough, and explain that she doesn't have to rush and can take as much time as necessary. And when the job is done to your liking be sure to tell her, if not, next time she cleans that room point out those areas specifically.
Think of it as when you start a new job and need the tasks explained how they want it rather then your previous employer.
If a women is pleasant and honest and does the job I feel it is definitely worth spending the time and effort rather then trying to start over and not knowing who you will get next time.

I also think the Jewish cleaning cycle is confusing. My cleaning lady just scrubbed my house and spent hours on small hours. How is she now supposed to know that we are back to the regular cleaning cycle. Its only fair to spell things out clearly. If she doesn't speak the same language try using an online translate tool to help you out.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 12:37 pm
I prefer slow and thorough. Honestly, I'd rather 1 bathroom per hour than everything in 2 and have a half-***ed job.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry