Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
I forgot to put the soap in! Wash again?

amother
Jade

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 7:39 am
Last night, my 4yo vomited in bed.

I threw all the sheets and her clothes ino the washer on a 95°C wash, took them out this morning and hung them up to dry. They were all clean and there was no bad odour.

This afternoon I went to put another load on and discovered the cup of washing powder on top of the washer!

Would you wash the whole lot again or not?

water_bear88

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 7:54 am
I'm sure they were sterilized at 95 degrees, so I guess that's not an issue here. If they really seem clean- no residue and no odor- they're probably ok. (Though I'd probably rewash them if I had the time, just for my own sense of security.)

lfab

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 7:58 am
They're probably clean but personally I would re-wash.

Faigy86

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 7:59 am
I'd probably also re-wash. Not because it is absolutely necessary, but just because it would feel right.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 8:02 am
yes re-wash with some baking soda

& try to put the detergent in before you add the clothes - it's a sure way not to forget - plus it allows for it to mix into the water instead of sticking to clumps in the clothes

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 8:06 am
Rewash but on a quick cycle since they were already sterilized in the 95' wash.

water_bear88

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 8:06 am
greenfire wrote:

& try to put the detergent in before you add the clothes - it's a sure way not to forget - plus it allows for it to mix into the water instead of sticking to clumps in the clothes

I'm just guessing this, but if she gave the temperature in celsius and said it's already afternoon where she is, her machine is probably a front-loader. So the detergent usually goes in a drawer, not directly in the drum with the clothes.

abaker

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 12:19 pm
If it was a normal no real dirt type of load I'd probably just put it in the dryer but for a vomit load I'd definitely rewash with soap

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 6:54 am
I would wash it again, but than again, I just found out my ds16 who is in a dorm hasn't been washing any of his clothing with detergent Rolling Eyes and they seem fine.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 6:59 am
If they were already put in the dryer and they seemed fine I would not wash them again.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 7:02 am
amother wrote:
I would wash it again, but than again, I just found out my ds16 who is in a dorm hasn't been washing any of his clothing with detergent Rolling Eyes and they seem fine.

Reminds me of my brother who didn't shower with soap til my mother found out. He said he uses water and that gets him clean - he was 8 or 9 tho Smile

amother
Gray

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 10:55 am
another vote for rewashing the load

amother
Jade

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 11:51 am
I did re-wash it on a 95° was with soap. Could probably have done it on a 60° but didn't think of that until it was too late.

I would normally have re-washed it without a thought, but I was so behind after Pesach even before having this extra unexpected load to do, I have no dryer, nor a place to dry things outside unless the weather is good enough to put the hanger out on the balcony which it hasn't been, so I'm limited in the number of loads I can do in a day (usually just one) because I haven't got the space to dry it. Plus, the vomit was not from something contagious.

water_bear88, you are correct that I have a front loader although top loaders are available here and many people have them. I put the detergent in a cup directly inside the drum though as it washes better that way and helps prevent mould in the machine.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 11:55 am
greenfire wrote:

I normally put the clothes in, then put the detergent in a cup and put that in straight after, even if I'm not turning the washer on at once.

I've never forgotten before, but because I was handling stuff with vomit on (with gloves!) I pepared the detegent first and left it on the side so I could just pick it up and throw it in after. Only I forgot. Pregnancy brain probably has something to do with it.

water_bear88

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 12:07 pm
amother wrote:

water_bear88, you are correct that I have a front loader although top loaders are available here and many people have them. I put the detergent in a cup directly inside the drum though as it washes better that way and helps prevent mould in the machine.

Interesting- thanks for the tip! What kind of cup do you use?

No dryer here, either, but I can usually get 2 full loads (machine holds 5kg) done in a day, even with inclement weather. Turning a fan on the clothes rack can also help some. I also hang shirts on hangers hanging off the sides of the clothes-rack, and socks/smaller underwear on one of those multi-clip things. No more than 2 sheets in a day, though, draped over the top, so that probably wouldn't have helped you in this case anyway.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 12:09 pm
amother wrote:
Reminds me of my brother who didn't shower with soap til my mother found out. He said he uses water and that gets him clean - he was 8 or 9 tho Smile

LoL...I discovered my 9-10 yr old DS was not using shampoo...I gave him a haircut and saw his black scalp!!! Puke!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry