Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
My babysitter just let me know she's moving out of town!!!

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 11:45 am
The woman that took care of my 5 and half year old since he is six weeks old just informed me that Friday is her last day. She is moving to a different state and I'm ready to cry. I'm so happy for her, because she will be purchasing a home and living in a place more comfortable for her. She has been taking my DS off the bus after school and keeping him until I leave work about 5-5:30 . So I'm a bit sad (nothing to do about that now) I need some fantastic ideas of what to get her for a gift...I love this woman and she has been a blessing in our lives...what can I get her under $100.00?

mora b

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 12:08 pm
nice birchas habayis hanging

pesek zman

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 12:16 pm
mora b wrote:
nice birchas habayis hanging
m
Interesting. It didn't occur to me that the babysitter would be Jewish

cm

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 12:21 pm
She gave less than 48 hours notice? You are taking it very well.

How about a cash bonus to help her set up her new home.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 12:21 pm
pesek zman wrote:
m
Interesting. It didn't occur to me that the babysitter would be Jewish

She is a frum woman Smile

pause

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 12:23 pm
cm wrote:

Yeah. I can't believe someone would let you know so last minute about a major move!

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 12:24 pm
cm wrote:

No, my anxiety levels have been escalating with every hour...but I understand her, she said I'm the first person to know and it's not happening for a couple of weeks, but she's traveling to another country next week (also something I didnt know until today) and is moving right after that. I already gave her cash bonuses on different occasions that I thought an actual gift would be nice. For Purim this year I gave her a necklace that me and my son chose together...I've given her a nice cook book in the past and a vase with flowers for shavuos...now I need other ideas

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 12:45 pm
Wow I would be super duper mad if I had 48 hours notice.
Maybe a visa gift card or bed bath and beyond or target gift card.

Raisin

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 12:45 pm
a gift card to a homeware store? or something really nice for her new house.

a kindle, or kindle fire.

camera.

jflower

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 1:17 pm
pause wrote:
Yeah. I can't believe someone would let you know so last minute about a major move!

I agree and would be very angry that she didn't give me a chance to make alternate plans. I'm sure that she didn't find out on Wed that she's leaving next week; she could have given you the courtesy of notice a few weeks ago. Unless she didn't tell you because she wanted to get paid for YT; is that a possibility?

No way I'd give a gift under these circumstances!

water_bear88

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 1:29 pm
People, can you try to be DLKZ? Not everyone lives in NY. When you have far-flung family, emergencies can come up that require you to fly to another country for a week. Maybe the babysitter is attending a parent's shiva or visiting a dying relative.

OP, I think the gift-card idea is a good one, preferably for a home goods store.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 6:18 am
I am not angry at her. She is someone I respect deeply. Of course it would have been easier for me to know in advance, but I'm sure she had her reasons. She specifically told me I'm the first to know that shes going anywhere, they are obviously keeping it quiet for whatever reasons. I dont pay her for Yom Tov, so it doesnt have anything to do with that. Maybe I'm crazy , but instead of being angry I'm actually full of hakaras hatov towards her for being there for my DS always and for literally "raising him" while I was at work. She was a second mother to him and she even let me know that for her it's just as hard, because he's considered part of her family. I got over the shock, still dont have a replacement for Monday (just taking deep breathes right now Smile , and Sunday I want to get her gift to say Thank You. Thanks everyone for all your ideas, appreciate it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics