Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Change name on birth certificate???

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 12:04 am
anyone ever done in NYC?

we wrote name we were planning on giving but due to complications bris was postponed and so baby was named after rebbi that yartzeit was that day...

I tried to google how to change name, but it seems so complicated. has anyone ever done it?

TIA

anon cuz I've asked so many ppl irl...

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 12:11 am
My sil did it, but I don't know what the process was.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 1:03 am
I've also recently looked into the matter and it seems as if you need to appear before a judge and receive a court order etc.....Sounds complicated so for now I am leaving the name as is but I will follow this thread to see if anyone who has recently done this found it simple.

out-of-towner

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 1:29 am
I did it with my son because they spelled his name wrong. I don't think it was too complicated, but my husband had to go down to the hospital to the birth registrar and change it or something. It was all resolved fairly quickly,and that's with it being wrong on both the birth certificate and the social security card.

yo'ma

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 9:24 am
I didn't end up doing it and this was a number of years ago, but from my understanding any changes to the birth certificate after a year there's a charge. Before that there isn't, so if you want it done, do it now.

sky

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 11:17 am
I'm in NJ.
We had to go down to the office of vital statistics - located in city hall - in the city the baby was born in.
both parents had to go down and show ID and sign the form.

$10 to change name.
Waiting period
$10 to get updated birth certificate.

We had not gotten a Social Security card yet so we just got one with the new name. Not sure how you change name on there.

For us changing the name triggered a new card. You can ask them how to fix that.

Before age 7 we did not need ID for the baby.

little_mage

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 11:27 am
My daughter had a typo on her birth certificate in PA. We actually just had to mail it in with a correction form, that I believe came with it. Every state is different, though. She's almost two and a half, and we still haven't dealt with her social security card...But for us it was free to chance the birth certificate before a year. So probably better to try to deal with it as soon as possible.

greenfire

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 11:29 am
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/......page

follow instrucciones

Goldie613

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 11:38 am
I believe the process is much easier when the baby is less than a year old. After that you start getting into court orders and such, but even that is not as bad as it seems. I know people who did it and it took some paperwork, a few visits to the court building, and about 3 months total for all the processing time. It also cost money - don't recall how much, but I think it was between one and two hundred dollars.

If you call 311 they should be able to tell you who to call and how to handle it, but this link has details about how to correct it, including how to do it for a baby =

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/......page
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics