Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
6 Month Old Cries in Bath

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, May 07 2016, 11:09 pm
My 6 month old gets hysterical when I out him in the bath. The water is definitely not too hot or cold.

Has anyone else had this? Why is he doing it?? What should I do?

otsrock

Post Sat, May 07 2016, 11:17 pm
Does he lay or sit? If he's been laying, try putting him in sitting. Sometimes an active Moro reflex would make them apprehensive when their heads are tiles backwards. Also, make sure the room itself doesn't have drafts.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, May 07 2016, 11:40 pm
So interesting. In his previous bath he was fully sitting (prince lionheart wash pod) and more recently I tried a more traditional bath where he is reclining. He is very happy to lie on my bed and flap,his arms around when I change his diaper or to lie in bed of course.

My sense is that it's the water itself that upsets him. Not sure if that's a stage or how to get past it. Agreed re drafts have made sure the room is warm and proper water temperature.

mha3484

Post Sat, May 07 2016, 11:56 pm
My kids were all like this. Hated baths until 18 months or so.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 12:03 am
18 months? Oy! What did you do? Just bathe them screaming? Mine gets hysterical and acts like he'd jump outbid he could. I feel terrible and just try to get him out as fast as possible. Definitely not relaxing say before bed.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 12:07 am
why not get in with him?

mha3484

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 12:29 am
I tell myself baths are for hygiene and fun is just a side benefit. I try to be quick. I remind myself it's a phase and will end.

amazingmommy

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 1:19 am
Would you try putting some toys he liked in the bath, and holding him.. Waiting for him to give the cue that he wants to go into the bath?

tf

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 4:12 am
I calmed my babies in the bath by holding one arm, underneath their head for support (head rested inside my elbow ), and with the same hand kept my fingers close to both their hands for them to hold tightly. They were able to calm down quickly bh.

potatoes

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 7:17 am
Does he display any other sort of sensory discomforts? Touch? Noise? Feeding?
If so, you may want to get him evaluated for OT

amother
Pink

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 10:19 am
Mine hated the bath too. Ends up doesn't like water on his face or head. Eventually got to where I can wash the body easily and force washed his head. Then at around 22 months or so he allows me to do it- I just have to have his towel ready to dry anything on his face! I also sing to him, let him have toys in there....anything to make it easier. I also didn't wash him even every other day- I was afraid of traumatizing the little guy too often that he developed a fear of the idea of a bath.

MadameX

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 6:11 pm
andrea levy wrote:
why not get in with him?

I second that.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 8:36 pm
Try putting a towel under him for security. Maybe he feels too open. Babies like to be cuddled close. Also put a washcloth over his tummy. It worked for my baby to make him more secure and calm.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics