Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Whats important to stipulate in your Kitchen contract?

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jan 06 2016, 3:45 pm
Whats important to stipulate in your Kitchen contract, with Kitchen cabinet contractor?

Do you regret forgetting something or not being aware of something when you wrote up your contract?

What are you grateful that you put into your contract?

Anyone willing to post their contract (with all names and prices removed)?

Im gutting the kitchen, but only making minor changes to the currrent layout.

TIA

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 1:56 pm
BUMP

Can anyone offer what they see as most important to have in custom kitchen contract.

irrationalrose

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 3:01 pm
not an exhaustive list but somethings I wish I would have included
demo and disposal of old cabinets, sinks, etc.
installation cost of new cabinets and appliances
installation of gas stove and sink by insured plumber?
if there isn't one already a shut-off-valve for the gas stove
will the exhaust for the stove hood need to be rerouted?
molding on top of cabinets
electrical work if you have under-cabinet lights
who will pay to replace the cabinets if they get damaged during installation
is hardware (like door handles, sink drainer, faucet) included?
are drawer inserts for cutlery included?
will you have to pay more for any non-standard sized pieces
are you redoing the floor as well? if not how will they handle it if cabinets do not fit original cabinet foot print?
installation of quater-rounds next to the cabinets (if needed) and toe strips on the cabinets that match
tileing? are tiles included? tile installation?
will you have to modify any window frames? will they be taking care of that?
do you know the country of origin of the cabinets? made in the US? made in china?
is there a warranty on the cabinets?
costs of permits if any are required

take BEFORE pictures (for fun and also in case something gets damaged like a wall or flooring)

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 3:06 pm
irrationalrose wrote:
not an exhaustive list but somethings I wish I would have included
demo and disposal of old cabinets, sinks, etc.
installation cost of new cabinets and appliance....
take BEFORE pictures (for fun and also in case something gets damaged like a wall or flooring)

Thank you sooooooo much for this list. These were all mentioned at one time or another, but its great and makes life easy to have it all in list form!!!

Thanks!

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 3:09 pm
I'm not sure how to work this in but when our kitchen was built we left out a chunk of the payment to be paid at the completion of the project. And more than 1.5 years later it's still not completed!! It's usable but missing some finishings and I wish we could get the job done!

myym

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 3:25 pm
Very important to include the backsplash. I just paid $12000 for a new kitchen and the contract said everything but didn't explicitly say the backsplash and he had the nerve to charge us an additional $500!! Mind you the whole job was $160,000 of work. Some contracters are just plain theives

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 3:39 pm
myym wrote:
Very important to include the backsplash. I just paid $12000 for a new kitchen and the contract said everything but didn't explicitly say the backsplash and he had the nerve to charge us an additional $500!! Mind you the whole job was $160,000 of work. Some contractors are just plain theives

Backsplash tiles are usually bought in a tile place and installed by a contractor, not the place that makes the kitchen.

I estimate my complete job for a medium size kitchen will cost about $50,000 with cabinets, contractor (demo, electric and plumbing work), installation, granite counter, and some other expenses I cant remember. Your kitchen costs $160,000 or total home renovation? What would make a kitchen job cost $160,000 in total? I remember going to the Clive Christian showroom in the D&D (or A&D) building and only their kitchens costed over 100,000. Id love to know what features and upgrades youre doing. It would be beneficial. I might want to add something.

myym

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 9:57 am
lol. the entire home renovation was 160,000!!! the kitchen was only 12000$ (Cabinets and granite counter top). We paid the contracter the installation fee for all the electric and plumbing and tiles for the floor. The cabinet guy only did the cabinets and counters. SO when it came to the backsplash the contracter asked for more money. I was not impressed. And im not sure why your kitchen costs 50,000? Unless you are including some appliances...

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Jan 08 2016, 10:45 am
Definitely- appliances raised the cost to about $50,000

Does anyone have anything to add to the super helpful list above?

irrationalrose

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 2:12 pm
OP - how did it go? now that you are experienced do you have anything to add to the list?

cnc

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 2:19 pm
To the another that paid extra for the back splash I think that's standard. My backsplash was bought and installed by a separate tile place.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jun 14 2020, 11:37 pm
irrationalrose wrote:
OP - how did it go? now that you are experienced do you have anything to add to the list?

bump (because I havent done the job yet).

Anything anyone can add to the above, specifically for the cabinet maker who Id like to take care of a contract with, first?

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 12:06 am
Regarding reg contractor-

no matter what they nudge, DON'T PAY LAST INSTALLMENT UNTIL EVERYTHING EVERYTHING EVERYTHING IS DONE!!!
Every light working, ever paint touch done, every tile in place, etc. Or they won't finish the job. A friend of mine for burned that way. Odds and ends were left.

Our contractor took way longer than he said it would take (50% more time), and I wish I had some type of stipulation that would deduct his pay, or something like that, if he didn't get it done by when he said he would.
Don't know how that would have worked...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen