Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I really need help now (time sensitive)
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 8:43 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I've thought about ADHD but I don't think that's what it is. He does really well in school and has no problem sitting in class. I have a feeling that he has anxiety, which is caused by his need to be perfect.

My son sounds incredibly similar to yours. Same age, similar personality. He just received an ADHD diagnosis (mild/moderate, combined type). He is remarkably intelligent, at the top of his class, and doing fabulously in school (just not socially).

We took him for an evaluation due to social issues and overall difficult personality. Even the highly recommended, experienced child psychologist who evaluated him did not suspect ADHD at first until some test results prompted further testing. I have a postgraduate degree in special education and dismissed the possibility as well.

I have to say that I'm relieved by the diagnosis - it makes me feel validated and like we actually have a clearer plan of action now.

Just a thought. You should consider it. Good luck! These kids are so frustrating.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 8:53 pm
amother wrote:
My son sounds incredibly similar to yours. Same age, similar personality. He just received an ADHD diagnosis (mild/moderate, combined type). He is remarkably intelligent, at the top of his class, and doing fabulously in school (just not socially).

We took him for an evaluation due to social issues and overall difficult personality. Even the highly recommended, experienced child psychologist who evaluated him did not suspect ADHD at first until some test results prompted further testing. I have a postgraduate degree in special education and dismissed the possibility as well.

I have to say that I'm relieved by the diagnosis - it makes me feel validated and like we actually have a clearer plan of action now.

Just a thought. You should consider it. Good luck! These kids are so frustrating.

I have no problem getting him evaluated, and would definitely feel relief with a diagnosis since everyone just blames me for his issues. I just double it's ADHD because he does wer academically and socially. He hates this kid, but besides for that he has a lot of friends and is very popular. I also have a degree in special Ed and worked as a classroom teacher as well as a SEIt for a number of years. His behavior just doesn't seem like ADHD, though I've definitely picked up on the similarities.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 9:26 pm
Just putting it out there. Like I said, nobody suspected ADHD in my son. He is not a classic case.

Oh, and I'm totally that person who rolls her eyes at the posts where everyone diagnoses a child based on a short OP, but the similarities between your son and mine are quite striking. I'd say it's definitely worth an evaluation, you may be surprised by the findings.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 9:27 pm
amother wrote:

You are describing my 7 year old to a t! I'm looking for a great child phsycologist for an evaluation. I live in NYC

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 9:41 pm
amother wrote:
Just putting it out there. Like I said, nobody suspected ADHD in my son. He is not a classic case.

Oh, and I'm totally that person who rolls her eyes at the posts where everyone diagnoses a child based on a short OP, but the similarities between your son and mine are quite striking. I'd say it's definitely worth an evaluation, you may be surprised by the findings.

Thanks. I appreciate it. I probably would have gotten him evaluated awhile ago, but I had to get my husband on board. The truth is, I did get him evaluated at age 3, but they can't tell you much then.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 9:41 pm
amother wrote:
You are describing my 7 year old to a t! I'm looking for a great child phsycologist for an evaluation. I live in NYC

Good luck! Sorry, can't help you there.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 9:29 am
An update-

He came home frim school hesterday screaming and crying even worse than usual. After reading all the discussion on here, plus the discussions with my husband and the principal, we finally came to the conclusion that the root of the problem is my baby. This kid has to be in control and have full attention, and his brother took that away from him. He knows he cant hate his baby brother, so instead he pours out all his hatred on his classmate who also represents a loss of control for him. Yesterday, my husband took him out for some private time, and I babied him all evening and let him cuddle on my lap. We also told him that he would be able to go on a special date evry week. This morning I woke him up early amd took him into bed witj me, which is so,ething we used to do and stopped when the baby was born. He made a half hearted attempt to say hes not going to school, but gave up as he was saying it. Thanks for all your input. We'll take it from here.

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 9:34 am
So happy for you, and him, that you are looking at the root of the problem and finding solutions, rather than just treating it as a discipline issue.
Kol hakavod!!!!!!

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 10:18 am
mtzadhasheini wrote:
So happy for you, and him, that you are looking at the root of the problem and finding solutions, rather than just treating it as a discipline issue.
Kol hakavod!!!!!!

Well obviously I had to find the root of the problem, I just couldn't figure out what it was. But bh I think we will start making progress now. Thanks for your support!
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics