Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
4 boys sharing a room

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 2:30 pm
We are considering doing some renovation and giving our 4 boys our current master bedroom to share and taking over the 2 smaller bedrooms the boys have now and turning them into a bigger master bedroom.

Will I regret having all 4 boys sharing a room? Or will I be happy to have a bigger bedroom and the boys will be just fine?
I want more privacy with a master suite as my boys are turning into their teen years.
I'm also thinking about down the line when my sons get married and come home to visit with their kids.
What should I do?

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 2:40 pm
If you can renovate now, you can renovate again later.
Teens need more personal space, so it could work if they have their own space. It doesn't have to be in the room. Do you have very messy and very neat? That could be a challenging technicality.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 2:49 pm
I wouldn't do it. Especially when they grow up and get married, you will need more bedrooms, not less to accommodate couples and their families. Also, having so many boys in one room can interfere with their sleep, sense of privacy, and sense of individuality. If given the choice, I would leave the arrangement as is with two bedrooms for the boys.

tichellady

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 3:19 pm
amother wrote:
I wouldn't do it. Especially when they grow up and get married, you will need more bedrooms, not less to accommodate couples and their families. Also, having so many boys in one room can interfere with their sleep, sense of privacy, and sense of individuality. If given the choice, I would leave the arrangement as is with two bedrooms for the boys.

Agreed

pickle321

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 3:36 pm
Why would you take away your teenage boys privacy so u have a little more of your own? That seems so unfair, teenagers need their space and privacy. 4 teenage boys in one room?? Bad idea

Aribenj

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 9:23 pm
I would be more concerned about 4 teenage boys sharing a bathroom... SHUDDER.... I have 4 boys ages 2-10 sharing one bathroom that I have to clean TOP TO BOTTOM EVERY DAY,and it is still BEYOND GROSS...

little_mage

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 8:01 am
If they're teenagers, then your sons are old enough to have an opinion. What do they think? I think a lot of it depends on the personalities of the children in question, but I would get their input.

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 8:23 am
I don't see how this would make more sense for married children visiting. They can't bunk together with their sisters-in-law in the same room... I would leave it as is.
If your current room is big enough to potentially have 4 teenage boys living in it, could you renovate just your room to give you a litting sitting area/bathroom/whatever you need?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 10:02 am
I needed to separate my boys as they got older, the non stop arguing and fighting just gets to me and it's not fair to them if their personalities dont click. I would give up my own space if it meant they each have more of their own space and that they can live in peace.

nylon

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 11:10 am
Turning 3 bedrooms into 2 will lower the value of your house.

greenfire

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 11:59 am
boys fight as much as girls ... maybe not over clothes & everybody needs their own space - gosharuni don't do it

have you thought of making a master suite out of the basement ? this way your renovations are expanding your house rather than shrinking it

naomi2

Post Mon, May 09 2016, 6:16 pm
the more bedrooms, the better.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 9:29 am
Definitely better for them to have 2 rooms instead of one bigger. Bathroom irrelevant.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 2:42 pm
I currently have 4 boys sharing a room and it is doable but as they get older I am actually planning to separate them since I agree with others that as they become teenagers they do need some more privacy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics