Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much income do we need OOT?

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 11:35 am
We have 3 kids k'h, moving to an OOT community where we will not have to pay tuition. We will get health insurance through my husband's employer. What other big expenses should I factor in besides housing, utilities and a car?

How much do you think would be a comfortable income for us to be able to make ends meet living simply but not frugally?

5mom

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 11:38 am
Where are you going to be living? Not every city has the same cost of living.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 11:43 am
"OOT" is not one unified place. Belive it or not, NY is not the only expensive place in the country. Also, depending on where you live, you may need 2 cars. And if it's a smaller or less established community, kosher food may be more expensive.

amother
Black

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 11:51 am
food

Maryann

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 12:37 pm
Can u pm where u moving we desperatly looking for a placel like this!

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 3:04 pm
I'll be the first to give you a number. I'm in Cleveland. If you have NO tuition and NO health insurance cost, you can EASILY live here for 50K a year total with 3 kids. But if you have NO tuition and NO health insurance cost, you're in the minority and will have jealous friends. Smile Rent/mortgage here ranges from 900 to 2000 a month--- mostly closer to the 900 end. Our rent is between 1300 and 1450 per month depending on whether sewer is due.

Our biggest payments each month (we have no tuition either--- special needs kids in public school--- and I don't wanna TALK about friggin health insurance)---- are rent (plus water/sewer), groceries, car payment, and debt repayments (we're over $100 K in debt from stupid decisions made years ago). Electric, gas, car/renters insurance are not that bad.

tichellady

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 3:32 pm
5mom wrote:
Where are you going to be living? Not every city has the same cost of living.

LA is OOT and is typically more expensive than the tri-state area. There's quite a range depending on the cost of living.

tichellady

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 3:36 pm
amother wrote:
We have 3 kids k'h, moving to an OOT community where we will not have to pay tuition. We will get health insurance through my husband's employer. What other big expenses should I factor in besides housing, utilities and a car?

How much do you think would be a comfortable income for us to be able to make ends meet living simply but not frugally?

1. food
2. childcare
3. car insurance and gas, registration and car maintenance
4. cleaning help (if you will have it)
5. clothing, shoes, outerwear (if a cold place)
6. shul membership and banquet, mikvah fees
7. money for copays and appointments before you reach your deductible
8. dental and optometrist visits- not sure what your insurance will cover, orthodonist fees (if your kids need braces, etc).

tichellady

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 3:37 pm
amother wrote:

1. food
2. childcare
3. car insurance and gas, registration and car maintenance
4. cleaning help (if you will have it)
5. clothing, shoes, outerwear (if a cold place)
6. shul membership and banquet, mikvah fees
7. money for copays and appointments before you reach your deductible
8. dental and optometrist visits- not sure what your insurance will cover, orthodonist fees (if your kids need braces, etc).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics