Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Going rate for speech therapy, lakewood.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 4:15 pm
What's the going rate for speech therapy in lakewood, specifically oral motor (don't know if that makes a difference).

Nobody accepts my kid's insurance, and if I find a therapist I'll have to pay out of pocket.

I thought I knew what the going rate was but then one recommended agency quoted around 1.5-2 times higher than that.

Please advise!

amother
Pink

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 4:24 pm
As an SLP: I assume an agency would be $65 or so per 30 min session. Maybe you can get a CFY which means a newly graduated SLP ,still under supervision. They would probably be cheapest if paid privately. Or, call your insurance company and them who's in network around here. Last, Children's Specialized in Tom's River may accept your insurance.

What insurance is it? Perhaps I could give you more specific names.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 4:45 pm
Yep, I thought it was about 65-70.
That's the rate I got from two separate sources.
Those particular people were not available though.

Now, this agency gave me a rate of $120(!) per session.
For self-paying clients they have a sliding scale, which is drumroll.....$95 and up.

Eta: I just have this gut feeling that it's a plain ripoff.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:32 pm
My insurance pays my speech therapist $250\session. NO wonder the agencies want insurance - it s steal.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 6:33 pm
To the previous poster:most insurances don't pay $250 per session. Only the really excellent plans do that. Most people in town have United Healthcare. The average reimbursement is $65-70 for a half hour session. In some rare cases it can be more depending on the deficit bring addressed. As a therapist, I prefer dealing with insurance companies rather than taking clients that pay out of pocket.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 8:15 pm
amother wrote:
To the previous poster:most insurances don't pay $250 per session. Only the really excellent plans do that. Most people in town have United Healthcare. The average reimbursement is $65-70 for a half hour session. In some rare cases it can be more depending on the deficit bring addressed. As a therapist, I prefer dealing with insurance companies rather than taking clients that pay out of pocket.

Do you mind my asking why you prefer insurance to self-pay?

amother
Pink

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 8:20 pm
Sure, I like that the insurance pays me fairly quickly and I don't have to run after clients for payment. I also know ( with many insurances ) how many visits a client will receive and they commit to their time slot for that amount of visits. This helps me know how much availability I have. These are some of my reasons .

groisamomma

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 8:35 pm
DD went to a private place in Lakewood that has a few speech therapists in a basement. The owner, herself a speech therapist, has her husband doing the paperwork. He billed my insurance for over $220 and got close to that. When the secretary contacted me and asked me for a $10 copay for the last twelve visits I told her to find another sucker. That's why there are EOBs. Did they really think I didn't know they were raking it in? I mean, how greedy can you getc?

P.S. The speech therapist that worked with DD told me she's paid $65 per session by this place.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 8:43 pm
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Since I only accept Out of Network benefits for private insurance, I am not dealing with collecting copays. I waive the coinsurance and do not balance bill .My understanding is that a doctor or therapist is required to bill you for copays/coinsurance but they do not have to take you to collections for it. (I do ,however , collect a deductible. )

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 9:25 pm
amother wrote:
Sure, I like that the insurance pays me fairly quickly and I don't have to run after clients for payment. I also know ( with many insurances ) how many visits a client will receive and they commit to their time slot for that amount of visits. This helps me know how much availability I have. These are some of my reasons .

I hear, it makes sense 100%

cnc

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 9:35 pm
groisamomma wrote:
DD went to a private place in Lakewood that has a few speech therapists in a basement. The owner, herself a speech therapist, has her husband doing the paperwork. He billed my insurance for over $220 and got close to that. When the secretary contacted me and asked me for a $10 copay for the last twelve visits I told her to find another sucker. That's why there are EOBs. Did they really think I didn't know they were raking it in? I mean, how greedy can you getc?

P.S. The speech therapist that worked with DD told me she's paid $65 per session by this place.

I think that is part of their contract with the insurance company. They are required to bill you for the copay.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 10:21 pm
cnc wrote:
I think that is part of their contract with the insurance company. They are required to bill you for the copay.

Except her EOB should say what you owe the provider. Mine does...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics