Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Help with the oven !!

smile

Post Thu, May 12 2005, 4:13 pm
I don't know if something is wrong with my oven or if it's my backing. Whenever I bake a cake it comes out burned and not done. I tried everything: changed the recipe the temperature but nothing works. My challos do come not so bad even though not very high (my husband always says that they look like I sat on them). The kugel is also not such a problem. I think it my be the oven. Did anyone else have such a problem ???

supermom

Post Thu, May 12 2005, 4:29 pm
Very Happy I thought it was only my oven that started to act up like that. I stopped making challah, cakes, and cookies because of that reason. Rolling Eyes and they say it is my imagination it can't be that an oven would do something like that.

Tefila

Post Thu, May 12 2005, 6:14 pm
Change the tempreture b/c unlike commercial ovens the settings can vary slightly. So if cakes are getting burned on 350 turn to 315 etc and the other way around if it's not baking well.
You also may want to look at the oven element b/c if it deterates (sp) which does happen then it's possible for the heating to be completley off. And rather then getting a new oven get a new element!!

smile

Post Thu, May 12 2005, 6:21 pm
I also keep on stopping to bake. I stop after few weeks or month I try baking again and then it starts again. I get so frustrated because I want to make cake it is nicer then buying the whole time. After all the work I did one even can't eat it.

sarahd

Post Fri, May 13 2005, 5:01 am
You could try getting an oven thermometer, hanging it in the oven and seeing if the temperature is correct. You say that your cakes are burned on the outside and underdone on the inside; that sounds like the temperature is too high.

You should use the thermometer to also see if the thermostat is working, or if the oven is just getting hotter and hotter, which could also cause your problems.

gryp

Post Fri, May 13 2005, 8:31 am
this reminds me of when we moved apartments two summers ago and I gave birth to Mendel about a week later. the oven was still treife and we werent getting the bris catered so we ran to get a blowtorch and kashered it the day before the bris. that night I put 4 pans of brownies in the oven and after twenty minutes they were burned black and still raw on the outside. I couldnt imagine what happened when I had set the oven on only 350. then I realized that the dial was broken and barely even attached and I must have turned it up to 500 or something..
at least that was the only thing I had planned on baking in that oven...

queenie

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 12:16 am
I had that happen to me and it was the thermostat. The first thing I also did is use an oven thermometre to see if the temperature is correct. Of course it wasn't.

I had to wait a bit to get it fixed so I didn't bake any cakes. What I did make is things like squares and bars that either needed a high temp or only needed 8 - 10 minutes in the oven. I was constantly turning down the temp when I cooked other foods.

Unless you live in a very high altitude you shouldn't be having these problems with baking. Is your oven under warranty? Is it yours or are you renting? It's definitely the landlords responsibility.

IM-MA

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 12:53 am
If the cake burned on the outside, it may be the pan you are using needs a lower temperature.

BREAD FLAT 1.Dough not kneaded enough
2.Yeast not properly dissolved
3.Not enough flour in dough

1stimer

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 2:28 am
I know this is off-topic, so if it will bother you, don't read it.

Quote:
It's definitely the landlords responsibility

What's his responsibility and what he will fix are worlds apart unfortunately.

supermom

Post Sun, May 15 2005, 4:31 am
by me I have the same problem as I stated above and it is only when I bake cakes, challah, cookies, muffins. food never happens. maybe it is a sign to stay away from junk Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen