Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
GPS, MapQuest, Google Maps, or Waze?

Faigy86

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 10:51 am
What do you trust the most? I actually don't use waze, but if my GPS gives me different directions than google maps, I'm always conflicted about which I should follow.

What do you do?

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 11:36 am
Waze. Waze. Waze.

Nothing compares.

littleprincess

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 11:43 am
Waze

I like it cos it shows traffic and gives alternative routes

Happydance

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 12:35 pm
I just traveled with a GPS after years of not using one and just was wishing I had waze on me! even my 5 year old was looking at the screen and questioning where the other drivers were!
Id say waza over google maps over mapquest over gps!

MrsDash

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 1:09 pm
Used to use waze but they always managed to give me the most out of the way route possible. I'm back to using google maps.

sky

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 2:34 pm
waze

We use a GPS in canada and I'm always amazed how it ias outdated so quickly.

miri36

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 2:38 pm
Waze all the way

seeker

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:37 pm
Google maps. I think if I had a smartphone Waze might be marginally more useful than it is now, but right now I just check directions before leaving home. Waze directions are hard to follow while Google maps is very clear - gives you all the right names for streets (waze is more inclined to say the route number or something) and typically more direct, while Waze might have you make a lot of twists and turns that technically are the fastest way to go but if it's more complicated and only saves you two minutes I'd rather go for simple.

Also, in most cases when I've checked both the routes were at least mostly the same and the time predictions on both were the same. I've found time predictions on Google maps accurate enough.

But like I said on a smartphone in a car it might be different because it will update as you drive if there's an accident or something on the way.

Raisin

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 6:02 pm
I like Google maps, dh likes Waze.

the chevrah

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 8:00 am
Google maps is much clearer!

DrMom

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 8:05 am
Waze.

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 9:44 am
Waze.

mille

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 9:50 am
MrsDash wrote:
Used to use waze but they always managed to give me the most out of the way route possible. I'm back to using google maps.

Agreed, and it usually doesn't save any time or very little time. It likes to take side roads (with traffic lights = could take longer) just to avoid a tiny bit of traffic. No thanks!

Rutabaga

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 10:20 am
We love Waze!

Waze has saved us from being late quite a few times by giving us alternative routes. Sometimes we ignore it if it wants us to zigzag just to avoid a small area, but often it helps us avoid major traffic on the highway.

Sometimes we just use it to pick the best route of two possible choices based on current traffic patterns. The real time data is amazingly accurate.

yidisheh mama

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 11:23 am
google maps

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 12:11 pm
mille wrote:
Agreed, and it usually doesn't save any time or very little time. It likes to take side roads (with traffic lights = could take longer) just to avoid a tiny bit of traffic. No thanks!

I used to gt annoyed at this and after several times of trying to "do it my own way" I realized it is not worth it.
Yes they can't predict double parked cars etc so sometimes side streets are longer but the whole idea of it is that it is live so I immediately update when there is traffic or an obstruction etc and the route changes for others (and sometimes for me too).

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 12:34 pm
I've been using the Copilot App, after trying some free apps (our GPS was stolen, a used smartphone on ebay was cheaper Wink )
Still unsure if I like the directions they give, so I usually check online first at home to get my bearings straight and start off with those google directions, but if I get lost, I can be rerouted easily, or even if I start going a different route on purpose, copilot quickly understands and gives me heads up of when to actually turn. And it's great for the way back too.

I still prefer going places I've been before though as I don't trust anything :/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics