Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is kids' constant snacking an American thing?
Previous  1  2  3

thanks

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 8:02 pm
Ever go to a wedding where they have cookies or a snack for you on the way out?
They just fed you at the shmorg, and full plate of dinner at around 10pm, but when you get in the car at midnight, you might be hungry again.

IMHO, it's ridiculous. The eating just doesn't stop.

Last edited by thanks on Thu, May 12 2016, 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

thanks

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 8:10 pm
I saw a recipe before pesach in one of the magazines. Can't remember exactly what it was for, but it said "delicious and filling, perfect for a first course."

So after eating a filling first course, what are you supposed to do? Eat the soup, second course and dessert I guess. Many people think it's normal to just keep on eating. It's not just kids.

thanks

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 8:21 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I thought about it and I don't understand what's gross about having a snack 3 hours after breakfast. Please explain.

You've got kids that are sedentary, and then standing around eating chips and super snacks. That doesn't seem like a healthy lifestyle. Kids, even high school kids should be running around or playing sports when they have a break. It's fine to eat a snack between meals. I think kids should run around during break, then sit at their desk and snack while doing work. I don't stand or walk around eating chips or fruit, I don't think kids should either.

Then again, many people stand and eat a whole meal at a shmorg or kiddush. Our society thinks that's normal.

Last edited by thanks on Thu, May 12 2016, 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 8:26 pm
amother wrote:
I can't imagine anyone is saying schools should prevent students from eating between breakfast and lunch and then lunch and supper.
and I can't imagine that kids running around or biking for over an hour doesn't need a snack - many adults would

IN fact our nutritionist insists we must eat between those meals. If not we would be starved when sitting down to eat and may make unhealthy food choices.

What I don't like is how my kids insist everyone has 3 snack bags a day. I allow 1 another has to be anything else. But my kids make it like they are the only ones.

They're not the only ones. My kids also get one snack bag a day. The other snack is fruit, vegetable, rice cakes, granola bar. I try that the snack bag should be popcorn or pretzels. That being said, I think this thread is very odd. Everyone should get their noses out of other peoples snacks.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 8:48 pm
thanks wrote:
You've got kids that are sedentary, and then standing around eating chips and super snacks. That doesn't seem like a healthy lifestyle. Kids, even high school kids should be running around or playing sports when they have a break. It's fine to eat a snack between meals. I think kids should run around during break, then sit at their desk and snack while doing work. I don't stand or walk around eating chips or fruit, I don't think kids should either.

Then again, many people stand and eat a whole meal at a shmorg or kiddush. Our society thinks that's normal.

I don't know any school that allows kids to eat during class, which is what you propose. If they can't eat during class, and it's 4 or more hours from breakfast until lunch, when should they eat??
And what BY high school has a yard or gym to exercise in? Breaks aren't long enough anyways for a game of machanyim or basketball. And most uniforms don't allow sneakers... I believe we should have gym more often, but only if they do actual exercise that gets the heart pumping- not some pathetic "take a walk around the block" that I had and didn't make me any healthier.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 12:45 am
the very fact that bissli and potato chips are called "snack bags" is indicative of hte problem.

those are not snacks, they are treats.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics