Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Kids drawing w chalk in front of house where they rent apt?
Previous  1  2

Should landlord be complaining if tenants kids draw with chalk in front of the house, on the brickwork and sidewalk?
No  
 86%  [ 78 ]
Yes  
 13%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 90

sleepybeauty

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 11:19 am
Isn't the sidewalk public property? Why would the landlord even have a say?
I can understand the brickwork being annoying to some people, but the sidewalk?

shacn

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 11:25 am
I live in a building where theres a strip into the property thats off the sidewalk and you can turn right or left into 2 buildings, its considered the LL's property. it doesnt really bother me though. I dont see why it would bother a LL either

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 12:41 pm
my kids draw on the sidewalk and patio/porch area and steps but not the brick work.
If my landlord doesn't like it he can just take a water hose to it. Or it rains.

Dandelion1

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 12:54 pm
I mean, I can see why it could bother some landlords. An older couple who take pride in their property might not want to see and invite people over to scribbles all over.... I mean my kids do it and I think it is creative, charming and very "70's Brooklyn in the summertime" (guess how old I am lol) but I would understand a landlord not appreciating it in front of their house....

abaker

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 12:59 pm
I totally wouldn't mind the sidewalk but I could see the landlord kindly asking that the kids refrain from writing on the house. But steps or sidewalk is totally fine.

bluebird

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 9:29 pm
I voted yes because of the brickwork--that's not OK. But the sidewalk is no problem.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 9:42 pm
My landlord once got a ticket because the sidewalk in front of the buing was full of chalk. So......

livinginflatbus

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 10:29 pm
When my kids color with chalk in front of our house in our gate they have a fit ..

bluebird

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 11:57 pm
amother wrote:
My landlord once got a ticket because the sidewalk in front of the buing was full of chalk. So......

I looked online a bit and found that lots of cities do indeed forbid chalking on sidewalks as part of forbidding graffiti in public spaces.

The type of chalk tends to be 1) messages (usually political), 2) ads, and 3) kid stuff. My initial reaction is that 1 and 2 seem reasonable but 3 does not. However, I actually do believe that an exception shouldn't be made because it should be OK or not OK. But, it's chalk so its temporary, right? So should that make a difference, again I want to say yes but the reality is that pragmatically it's rational to forbid both because otherwise the courts would have to decide what's a reasonable length of time based on what's used to draw the message and how long it would take to wash off.

What do you think?

bluebird

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 11:59 pm
Oh, and to the original question: if the landlord is ensuring that the tenants flow the law (especially as he would probably be liable) then I think telling them not to chalk up the sidewalk is reasonable
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics