Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Are highlights considered a chatzitza?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:28 pm
Considering doing it for first time and wondering what the ramifications are on nidda

tichellady

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:33 pm
no. don't see how it's relevant at all. I guess if you always are strict about getting them done right before mikvah you will need to be consistent about that but I doubt you will be getting highlights that frequently.

tichellady

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:34 pm
I spoke too soon, read this: http://hebrew.yoatzot.org/article.php?id=109

cnc

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:39 pm
I was told that eyebrow tinting is a chatzitzah so I'm not sure that highlights would be any different.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 3:13 pm
I color and highlight my hair, and it never occurred to me that it would be a problem for mikvah. I'm sure I'm not the only frum woman who colors her hair.
It doesn't make sense to me how it could be a chatzitzah.

cnc

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 3:31 pm
amother wrote:
I color and highlight my hair, and it never occurred to me that it would be a problem for mikvah. I'm sure I'm not the only frum woman who colors her hair.
It doesn't make sense to me how it could be a chatzitzah.

I was taught by my kallah teachers that hair dye is a chatzitzah.
Ask your LOR.

Plenty of frum women wear nail polish, it is still a chatzitzah.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 3:50 pm
tichellady wrote:
I spoke too soon, read this: http://hebrew.yoatzot.org/article.php?id=109

This actually makes sense. I always used permanent dye, and dyed my hair at least a week or so before immersion, because you always lose a bit of extra dye the first two or three times you wash your hair after dying it. I have never had any problems or comments from mikve ladies about my hair.

I wonder why dying eyebrows would be a problem, if you're following the same standards as above? (I have a lot of gray in my eyebrows, and need to do them every couple of months.)

I can't imagine how bleaching, lightening, or highlights would be a problem, because you are stripping color OUT of the hair, not adding color in.

tichellady

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 4:06 pm
cnc wrote:
I was taught by my kallah teachers that hair dye is a chatzitzah.
Ask your LOR.

Plenty of frum women wear nail polish, it is still a chatzitzah.

There is clearly a range of opinions here - in my Mikvah you may dip with a fresh manicure or pedicure since it's not considered a chatzizah by the rabbis in our community. I can't imagine they would consider hair or eyebrow dye an issue.

pointyshoes

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 4:33 pm
I was taught that it depends on the dye used. Whether its a chatzitza or not varies between dyes so ask your rav

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 4:43 pm
If it's permanent and doesn't color the water when you wet your hair then the hair dye is not a chatzitza

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 11:06 am
ra_mom wrote:
If it's permanent and doesn't color the water when you wet your hair then the hair dye is not a chatzitza

This.
If it is a temporary dye that washes out after a few washes, then it is a chatzitza. If it is permanent (which eventually fades/grows out after several months) then it is not a problem.

Obviously you should ask your LOR if you are unsure.

--Signed by a dyed and loving it girl ---

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 1:32 pm
Just curious:

Are you ladies highlighting and coloring under your sheitels? Or do you not cover, or not cover around the house?

cnc

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 1:37 pm
tichellady wrote:
There is clearly a range of opinions here - in my Mikvah you may dip with a fresh manicure or pedicure since it's not considered a chatzizah by the rabbis in our community. I can't imagine they would consider hair or eyebrow dye an issue.

What you're saying makes sense.

In my community all nail polish is considered a chatzitzah so I guess they follow the same thought when it comes to hair dye.

Also, I just realized that I never asked a shaila about eyebrow tinting. The woman at the salon is the one that mentioned it to me. I should really ask my own Rav.

singleagain

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:
Just curious:

Are you ladies highlighting and coloring under your sheitels? Or do you not cover, or not cover around the house?

I don't dye my hair, but I know that for some ppl grey will poke out of shietal and it looks weird. Which is when I bought a shietal I did my best to match my hair color

amother
Jade

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 1:50 pm
amother wrote:
Just curious:

I cover my hair 100%, either with a sheitel and tichel and don't let any hair show, in the house and out.
but in my personal space it bothers me that I have grey at 32. I was discussing with DH that I was thinking of coloring, just have to ask a rav about the dos and don'ts.
I'm doing it for DH and myself only. No one else will know or see (accept the mikva lady).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics