Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Nannies and raises

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 4:07 pm
Just wondering what is the typical norm for giving raises to someone working for you? Is it a dollar a year?
I have a part time worker (approx 8 hours a week) for 6 years at 12 an hour. I always gave her a bonus but I didn't think about a raise. She approached me this week and said its been so many years and I agreed and offered her 15 an hour. This is above the going rate where I live but it's deserved and dh and I calculated it in to our finances and agreed on the number but she wants 18 an hour - a dollar for every year I didn't raise her. Wondering if she's right. Dh said he himself hasn't been given a raise yearly. But anyway we can't afford her request and we will hopefully end on good terms.

octopus

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 4:54 pm
No. she is not right. You were generous with your offer, btw.

tichellady

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:03 pm
I don't think she is being reasonable. That said, she can make whatever request she wants and you are free to tell her what you think is reasonable. If she wants $18 an hour she can quit and try to find a job that pays that, but I don't think you are being unreasonable for telling her that that's not a raise you can afford.

watergirl

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:04 pm
There is usually a 2% cost of living raise, but I dont know if thats standard with nannies.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:18 pm
TBH $15 is what they are asking for as a starting rate where I live but if it is above norm for you then it is a nice raise.
Tell her you gave her bonuses each year and this year you are giving her a raise. If she wants she can re approach this next year.
$18 is quite high for 8 hours a week.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:32 pm
Thanks everyone. I also thought 18 an hour was crazy high. She's so nice I trust her and she works hard when she comes to me it's never an issue. But yes I thought 15 an hour was fair.
She doubtfully will find a job for 18. I'm guessing she doesn't need the work as its a side job for her she has something else full time and maybe now she doesn't want to do my job unless it was really worth her while. She drives 30-45 min to get to me depending on traffic. She said that gas is a factor in that the salary I pay is not covering it.

doctorima

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 6:18 pm
I've never heard of a 50% raise, which is what she's asking for. She should have brought the subject earlier, or you could have, but once she worked for 6 years at this rate, a jump from 12 to 18 is unreasonable. And blaming it on gas doesn't make sense, since gas is now much cheaper than it's been in recent years.

shooting star

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 8:38 pm
It may be unreasonable to expect such a large jump in pay, however, in my area that rate would make some sense.

I had been looking for part-time nannies and found they typically wouldn't take less than $15 to start. It was harder to find part-time than full-time because often, the better ones would not be pleased with finding two jobs. Also scheduling was tough (second employer). On top of this, most employers also pay for a bus pass (I think another $120 per month) and a cell phone. It's typical to give a $1200 raise per year for a full time nanny... So I believe that's roughly a $0.60 hourly raise rate per year. But that's in my area.

If I were in your shoes I *might* be inclined to give her the money just to avoid the hassle of re-training. IF I only needed a nanny for another few years. The difference between $15 per hour and $18 per hour is about $1200 per year (based on 8 hours a week, 52 weeks a year). Depends if it's worth it to you.

shooting star

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 8:53 pm
Oh just saw the raise would be out of your budget anyhow.

Hopefully it ends well.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 9:03 pm
We could stretch and do it short term not long term but I feel like it's a lot of money to spend on someone helping me with kitchen stuff and kids bath time (as awful a time of day as it is...)

shooting star

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 9:27 pm
Yep, it's a lot of money.

I know that feeling well.

Just wondering, how long are your shifts? Are they a minimum of three hours? I think where I live there is a labour law that states an employer must pay for a three hour shift minimum even if less was worked (might only be at minimum wage).

Also forgot to mention that I've heard nannies will often charge more for more kids (larger families). I have only two, so I haven't run into that.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 10:23 pm
She works Tues and Thursdays from 3/315-anywhere from 630-730 depending on day and how hectic it is. She keeps track of her hours and gives them to us so I trust her to be recording the time she leaves I do not pay attention.
Recently I picked up on her leaving a half hour before she said she was going to on her hours sheet (we had just paid her). I didn't bring it up to her bc it is 6 dollars and I felt that she is trustworthy. But I made up in my mind to pay attention to it for future but I think tomorrow will be her last day anyway if I do not agree to her salary.

supermamma

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 10:32 pm
my experience leads me to say that if you don't agree with her request you should let her go regardless if she accepts your counter offer as she might be inclined ti take items from your home to make up for her loss of income. even if you never thought she could do such a thing

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 5:59 am
My friends with nannies don't give raises except she gets more duties (like has to start driving a kid around)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics