Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Sheitels as you age
Previous  1  2

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 9:09 am
Long shaitel + wrinkles = weird-looking. I feel like telling these people, "dress your age".

saw50st8

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 9:31 am
causemommysaid wrote:
older women who dont cover dye their hair also.

you don't need to go grey.

I think a shoulder length style with a good cut in your natural color before you went grey should be fine.

It's true that many older women dye their hair, but at a certain point they look ridiculous. Think of the 90 year old women with brassy red hair. It just looks stupid.

There comes a point where women should adapt their sheitel to reflect a more age appropriate look. If your entire head of hair is white, you shouldn't be wearing a long, dark sheitel. Your face gives you away.

My mother (who doesn't cover her hair and is allergic to dye) is graying gracefully and looks beautiful and age appropriate.

saw50st8

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 9:32 am
chavamom wrote:
Struggling with this myself. I'm 48 and my natural hair only has a very small amount of grey - yet I think most sheitels make me look like I'm putting a 25 year-old's hair on my head.

Change the style. Don't go long.

chavamom

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 9:38 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Change the style. Don't go long.

I wear a short sheitel for work and a shoulder length one that is slightly fancier only for simchos and shabbos (see avatar).

Last edited by chavamom on Thu, May 12 2016, 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total

pause

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 9:47 am
I agree with the poster about most people looking better in short hairstyles. There's something chic about a sheitel that's chin-length and cut to your shape face, not just a long mop of hair placed atop your head.

And this is especially true as you age.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 12:34 pm
The really long perfectly wavy sheitals look fake on everyone, but that's just my opinion. They do look gorgeous though and I'm wishing for one as well. Wink Wink
I'm 40 but I look younger so as long as it still works I'll wear whatever I like. I don't know why especially in our community ppl look at 40 like it's the end......... like major bubbe time.

Maybe it's because we all started off so early? So we also imagine something like 35-40 to be "OLD" already???? I don't understand it. Yes, some of us might be bubbes soon or already be, but that doesn't mean we have to act or look so old. I'm not saying to look trashy, for sure not. But I'm not giving up my below the shoulder length sheital anytime soon.....

saw50st8

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 12:39 pm
chavamom wrote:
I wear a short sheitel for work and a shoulder length one that is slightly fancier only for simchos and shabbos (see avatar).

I've never seen a picture where you look ridiculous. Your avatar is very nice.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 12:55 pm
chavamom wrote:

I'm 50, and I do the same (but I mainly wear scarves around the house and to do shopping).

IMHO, women who wear really long, zexy sheitels past "a certain age" just look sad, like they are trying way too hard. As with all things in fashion, just because you can, doesn't always mean you should.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:14 pm
I'm in my mid 40s and wear long sheitels because my real hair is long. I like my sheitels to be as close to my "real" hair as possible. I've no intention of cutting my real hair therefore I won't be getting a shorter sheitel. I don't have gray hair or wrinkles yet puh puh puh but by most people's standards I'm fat although I prefer to think of myself as curvy and zaftig. I don't care if my sheitel makes me look older, younger, taller or shorter as I am happy with my weight, height and hair as it is. Sorry if that is an unpopular opinion. Judge as you like...

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 4:04 pm
amother wrote:
I'm in my mid 40s and wear long sheitels because my real hair is long. I like my sheitels to be as close to my "real" hair as possible. I've no intention of cutting my real hair therefore I won't be getting a shorter sheitel. I don't have gray hair or wrinkles yet puh puh puh but by most people's standards I'm fat although I prefer to think of myself as curvy and zaftig. I don't care if my sheitel makes me look older, younger, taller or shorter as I am happy with my weight, height and hair as it is. Sorry if that is an unpopular opinion. Judge as you like...

What does zaftig mean?

chavamom

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 4:25 pm
Zaftig = pleasantly plump

Raisin

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 4:34 pm
Honestly I think people should wear what they want. And 40 is not old. I know many women over 40 who are beautiful and suit very well long sheitals. When I say long I mean at least shoulder length.

Once you start getting wrinkles maybe you can rethink your hairstyle and colour.

On he flip side there are 25 year old women who wear dowdy sheitals and clothes that make them look 45. .

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 10:32 pm
If you want to follow the fashion, short is very in now and so is grey. Young celebrities are dying their hair with grey steaks right now and other unnatural colors (pink, purple...). I think the reason long shaitals are so common is that it's really hard to find a really natural looking shorter shaital.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 1:05 am
It's not true! It is not a problem to find a natural looking short sheitel.
I have always had short hair and wore short sheitels throughout my twenties becausw I could never afford anything else. For my 30th birthday I splurged on a longer sheitel and am very happy! I have realized that a short sheitel is for the mother of the bride and I can go baxk to short when I am at that stage. That being said I see many ladies in their fifties with at least shoulder length wigs if not longer

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 4:22 pm
Quote:
short sheitel is for the mother of the bride
Not necessarily. I think I am pretty youthful shvigger. Okay, my sheitel probably isn't what you'd call long - just til my shoulders.

But I've certainly seen young-looking mothers of brides, and they looked fine in longer sheitels.
Bubbie of the bride - that might be a different story.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 12:49 am
40????

Which 40 year old doesn't have long hair (in Hollywood and in general society).
I agree with amother who said that we start out at 20 so we think 40 is older and should dress like bubbies, especially if we may have grankids.
40 is way too young to start dressing bubby'dik. We live in a society where people are living longer and people are settling much later. 40 may have been old in the 1600, but in 2016, 40 is the new 20 or perhaps the new 30.
I was thinking the OP was discussing 65 year olds.

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 6:02 am
Sigh... on Imamother it seems like my life is almost over. In the real world I get called Miss if I'm not with my kids. I IYH do NOT plan to buy a grey sheitel (!!) or go short. Shorter, maybe, like under shoulders, when I'm really old?
Because you are a bubbe, doesn't mean you are old, some cultures have 30 year old grandmothers JUST SAYING.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 9:04 am
Ruchel wrote:
Sigh... on Imamother it seems like my life is almost over. In the real world I get called Miss if I'm not with my kids. I IYH do NOT plan to buy a grey sheitel (!!) or go short. Shorter, maybe, like under shoulders, when I'm really old?
Because you are a bubbe, doesn't mean you are old, some cultures have 30 year old grandmothers JUST SAYING.

Who says short is for old people? Most of the young celebrities are wearing their hair short now. Long is out. They're wearing bobs, lobs, and pixie cuts. I've seen many young women wearing short and old women wearing longer hair/wigs. And they dye their hair many different colors. Wear whatever you think looks good on you or what you like. Saying an older person should wear a short wig is like saying people over 40 should gain a little weight. Maybe It's not appropriate for a bubby to be so super skinny.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 11:28 am
Quote:
Sigh... on Imamother it seems like my life is almost over. In the real world I get called Miss if I'm not with my kids.

Lol. I feel the same. I am 29. Finally lost my weight, settled some things in life (although there are always challenges) and I feel like I can finally start living with my life ahead of me, especially after going through a lot in my teens to mid 20's and also being heavy.
But according to imamother, I've probably missed the boat. I'm bordering 30 so I should probably start anticipating life as an older woman.

Imamother is worse than Hollywood. LOL
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics