Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kashrus in Israel

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, May 14 2016, 10:45 pm
my husband is going on a business trip to Israel. He will be located in rechovot. The boss isn't allowing them to take buses, due to safety Rolling Eyes He's the only frum person going. He has no idea what he can eat and in his words "scared he will starve to death in the country that has more Jews then anywhere else"- yes, he's half joking but only half. We keep the regular american hechsherim- ok, ou, star k... he's not makpid on cholov yisroel, pas yisroel... anything like that but doesn't want to be eating stuff that wouldn't be considered reliable in America. Probably would be considered just plain frum. How can he find out what hechsherim are ok?

Marion

Post Sat, May 14 2016, 11:16 pm
As your Rav. Or look for OU, Rabbanut Mehadrin, Rabbanut Yerushalayim, Chatam Sofer (should be easy to find in Rechovot). Specifically ask about Rabbanut Rechovot (I know nothing about it).

Oh, and tell the boss staying off the buses is not necessarily a wise instruction.

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, May 14 2016, 11:22 pm
The two main differences from the US are non glatt meat and kosher gelatin. The Rabbanut allows these, so he might choose not to eat red meat or candies. (If he grew up in England, the gelatin won't be a problem.)

Ask your rabbi about heter mechira. If you eat it, fine. If not, he can still eat Rabbanut but avoid citrus fruit and potatoes.

Otherwise, go for a mehadrin hechsher.

All wheat products in israel must be yoshon so no worries about that.

aquad

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 1:34 am
I live in Rechovot! It's pretty easy to keep kosher here Smile
Ask your Rav if you eat Rabbanut Regila or Rabbanut Mehadrin. If regila/regular, then he'll be 100% fine- it's hard to find something that isn't kosher here. If Mehadrin, he'll have a little more work to do, but not much.
I only eat Mehadrin, so I'll speak from that perspective: Rabbanut Rechovot Mehadrin is reliable. There aren't really fleishig restaurants here, besides for shwarma places. Your husband can find dairy Mehadrin cafes and pizza places easily.

Also this list is amazing for navigating Israeli hechsherim- scroll down and you'll see Israeli hechsherim that the CRC approves of: http://www.crcweb.org/agency_list.php

Also, Rechovot is like 97% Jewish- the odds of something happening on a bus is pretty slim.

Shuly

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 7:12 am
We don't eat rabbanut mehadrin of Yerushalayim but our rav said we could eat Rabbanut mehadrin of Rechovot as it is run by the same Rav Kook of Badatz Mehadrin (Rav Rubin hechsher) which we do eat.
Last time I was in Rechovot, there were more places where I could eat than in Yerushalayim!

There was a milchig restaurant called Bordeaux that was really good and a bunch of bakeries to get coffees and pastries.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 7:34 am
thank you rechovot mothers that was really helpful! My husband's company is going out to eat for dinner as a group though. Is there any "nice" fleishig restaurant that he can suggest to them or anyway to get food brought in to a "regular rabanut" restaurant? I don't think not going to the "dinner" is an option.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 7:46 am
amother wrote:
thank you rechovot mothers that was really helpful! My husband's company is going out to eat for dinner as a group though. Is there any "nice" fleishig restaurant that he can suggest to them or anyway to get food brought in to a "regular rabanut" restaurant? I don't think not going to the "dinner" is an option.

Where are they going? Maybe the restaurant is okay. Rehovot hechshers have a pretty good reputation.

I think the "Gehalim" grill restaurant at the entrance to the Rehovot/Nes Ziona Science park is mehadrin.
http://gehalim-rehovot.rest.co.il/

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 7:55 am
I went to the gehalim website and couldn't find the hechsher?

WastingTime

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 12:05 pm
If you're not makpid on cholov yisroel, rabbanut milchigs should be fine
They have some fleishig mehadrin restaurants in the Ramat gan/Tel Aviv area, maybe they can go there if there's nothing suitable in Rehovot
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen