Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
ISO Cheese Danish Filling (updated -recipe posted)

mamaleh

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 4:44 pm
Last year I made mini cheese danishes for Shavous and they were a big hit. I used puff pastry squares and a cheese filling and brushed them with sugar water before and after baking. I can't remember which filling recipe I used. Looking for some ideas to use this year. Something rich and not too sweet.
TIA

Last edited by mamaleh on Thu, May 19 2022, 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

ysydmom

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 5:47 pm
Can you post the receipe including the dough? Thanks. I would love to make these.

mamaleh

Post Tue, May 11 2010, 6:14 pm
I used the small frozen puff pastry squares. Brushed them with sugar water, laid filling down the middle and pinched two corners over the top leaving two corners open. Brushed the top with the sugar water. Bake at 375 until just brown (make sure bottoms are baked) and immediately brush with sugar water again. You can add a little lemon juice to the water if you want.
In terms of filling... I don't remember embarrassed . Hoping this thread will help Help

mamaleh

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 6:10 pm
Here's the recipe I'm using in the end:
2 (8oz) cont whipped cream cheese
1 (8oz) cont vanilla yogurt
1/2-3/4 cup sugar
mixed them all together with mixer.

The filling tastes delicious. I put it in the fridge and will make the danishes fresh tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how they come out!

AZmom09

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 9:15 am
Would this taste like a cherry cheese knish (danish) if I add cherries or cherry pie filling..?

mamaleh

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 11:20 am
Quote:
Would this taste like a cherry cheese knish (danish) if I add cherries or cherry pie filling..?

yes!!

NS

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 1:30 pm
How many danishes can you fill with that amount of filling?

culinaryk

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 1:38 pm
If you want something different you can try these, I made them last year and they were a huge hit.

Dough
4 1/2 cup/s Flour
16 ounce/s Butter
8 ounce/s Sour Cream
Filling
16 ounce/s Soft Cream Cheese
2 Egg
1 cup/s Sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon/s Vanilla
1/2 Jar Dulce De Luce

Preparation
Cut butter into flour add sour cream and knead to form a smooth dough. Refrigerate at least 2 hours. Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Roll out and cut into squares (smaller or larger depending on how you like it). Spray a muffin tin with baking spray. Mix filling ingredients until smooth. Take a square of the dough spread a thin layer of dulce de luce (caramel cream) and then put about a teaspoon of filling in the center. Bring corners together and pinch well. Put into muffin tin. Bake at 350 for 20 min. Cool and sprinkle with confectionary sugar. You can freeze these.

mamaleh

Post Wed, May 23 2012, 11:54 am
Btw they were great last year & now I'm making them again! (yay imamother cause now I can remember what I did)

mamaleh

Post Wed, May 23 2012, 12:56 pm
For those who wanted to know this made 36 mini danishes (using 1 package of the Mazor mini puff pastry squares). OOPS I didn't follow the directions properly (only used 1 cr cheese-hope it'll be okay) it really makes more
I will also be editing the recipe to include all the different parts so it's easier for anyone who wants to save it.

edited to add my mistake

Last edited by mamaleh on Wed, May 23 2012, 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

mamaleh

Post Wed, May 23 2012, 1:09 pm
Decided to put it all together here instead:

Easy, Mini Cheese-Danishes

mini puff pastry squares

Filling:
1/2-3/4 cup sugar

Glaze:
Hot water
sugar
lemon juice (opt)

Brush squares with sugar water, lay filling diagonally down the middle and pinch two corners over the top leaving two corners open. Brush the top with the sugar water. Bake at 375 until just brown (make sure bottoms are baked) and immediately brush with sugar water again.

makes aprox 50 danishes

mamaleh

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 10:00 am
I know this is an old thread, but I just had to add this story:
My DD's teacher asked them to bring in a Shavous recipe (although she told them that it did not have to be something that was specifically for Shavous- anything they could/would make for Shavous would do). As soon as she told me about it I knew which recipe she was going to want. She told me that most of the girls in her class (4th grade) were thinking about it & trying to decide, but she knew right away, "I want your cheese danish recipe."
I make it every year (and I always know where to find it- thank you Imamother)
It's so easy, and tastes so good, and it is actually Mezonos so it's perfect for kiddush Shavous morning (I don't even bother with cheese cake). This year I think I'll let her make them.

observer

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 10:29 am
Thanks for bumping it up! I hope to try it iyh!

mamaleh

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 1:52 pm
Let me know what you think. Thumbs Up

Moselle

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 12:16 pm
I thought you had to eat cheese danishes within a few hours of baking them, to keep them crisp - unless you reheat them in an oven. So how do you keep them between baking them, and serving them on yomtov - especially with Shabbos in between??

Mevater

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 6:21 pm
mamaleh wrote:
Decided to put it all together here instead:

Easy, Mini Cheese-Danishes

mini puff pastry squares

Filling:
1/2-3/4 cup sugar

Glaze:
Hot water
sugar
lemon juice (opt)

Brush squares with sugar water, lay filling diagonally down the middle and pinch two corners over the top leaving two corners open. Brush the top with the sugar water. Bake at 375 until just brown (make sure bottoms are baked) and immediately brush with sugar water again.

makes aprox 50 danishes

How do you get 50 danishes from a package of squares that says it makes 36?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 6:47 pm
Mevater wrote:

Looks like this is a recipe for 1.5 packages mini pastry squares.
Mamela wrote she used one pack of 36 but just 1 container cream cheese.

esther11

Post Fri, Jun 10 2016, 12:34 pm
Made these for shavuos and they are really good!
Thanks for the recipe!

mamaleh

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 2:12 pm
I know this is an old thread but since I recently linked it for someone, I figured I’d answer some of the questions that came up.

Quote:

I thought you had to eat cheese danishes within a few hours of baking them, to keep them crisp - unless you reheat them in an oven. So how do you keep them between baking them, and serving them on yomtov - especially with Shabbos in between??

They do get a bit soft, but we (and everyone else) still enjoy them. Because of the sugar water they are not so crispy even when fresh.

Quote:

I use 1.5 packages when I make a full recipe. We usually try to keep the others pareve then cut them in pieces (triangles, strips or use cookie cutters), sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar and bake at 375F until crispy. You can also make twists.

(And BTW my dd is in charge of making them these days- and has been since that year I let her try)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus