Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
What exactly does "not recommended" mean? Starbucks.
Previous  1  2

grace413

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 4:25 pm
I worked for a kashrus agency many years ago.

"Not recommended" meant don't eat because it's a product that needs supervision and either has none or has supervision that the agency doesn't agree with.

When people asked why it's not recommended the answer was "it doesn't meet our standards."

I don't know anything about Starbucks but one of the main issues in food/beverages is flavors - natural and/or artificial - which may contain non-kosher ingredients.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 5:15 pm
Didn't read all the responses but rabbi Abadi holds most of these are ok. So "not recommended" means for the community at large, but I'm pretty sure even the guys who run the website follow Abadi (tho I could be wrong) - but the recommended drinks are those that ok by more mainstream.

WhatFor

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 5:49 pm
Why don't you just email the kashrut agency of whatever site you were looking at and ask? They might be responsive.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 6:22 pm
amother wrote:
Didn't read all the responses but rabbi Abadi holds most of these are ok. So "not recommended" means for the community at large, but I'm pretty sure even the guys who run the website follow Abadi (tho I could be wrong) - but the recommended drinks are those that ok by more mainstream.

Which rabbi Abadi?
What is his first name, and where from?

amother
Amber

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 6:31 pm
Rabbi Yitzchak Abadi from Lakewood

cnc

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:
Which rabbi Abadi?
What is his first name, and where from?

He's from Lakewood and had his own interesting shitos on Kashrus. He's a tremendous Talmud Chacham but not considered mainstream in regards to his Kashrus psakim, only a small minority hold of them.

Do a search here for more info on him.

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 6:58 am
Not recommended is not treif but either iffy or kulot.
I had no idea some didn't want to call things non kosher,not such PC hesitation here!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions