Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Gowns from China- your experience? probs with Custom/import?

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 8:26 am
I'm thinking about ordering gowns from one of the websites from China- what was your experience? Anyone successful with this?
Is there an issue with import/customs- are there extra fees? Is it ok if it is under a certain amount? I have been searching online and could not come up with anything totally conclusive...

Chayalle

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 8:36 am
I can tell you our second-hand experience. A neighbor of mine ordered a gorgeous gown from China. It arrived totally mis-sized - it was way too small on her - but not worth the price of shipping it back to China for return. She ended up selling it (for a fraction of the cost) to my sister, and my teen niece wore it to my younger sister's wedding. It was a beautiful gown....but if you order from China, make sure you understand their sizing (small in China is very small indeed) and your measurements.

happyhub

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 8:53 am
Please avoid it at all costs. I myself had a terrible experience. The dress never looks like the photo and the sizing is terrible. Returning is impossible they give you a very hard time, and trying to ship something back to China is a nightmare it almost always gets lost through different loading docks

Amarante

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 9:10 am
As OP said, sizing is problematic because the Chinese sizing runs VERY VERY small in most cases.

If the wearer is very petite, it would be fine if you provide measurements. Not sure where you are buying from. My friend wanted to buy a Montcler knockoff (don't judge LOL) and although she is not a large woman - perhaps a size 6 or so, the supplier told her that even the Large would be too small when she got her measurements.

There is no problem with Customs in the US but as others have posted, shipping back to China rarely makes sense since you would want to send it with tracking which is quite expensive for international shipments.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 9:11 am
I also had a terrible experience.
If you are going to do it, only pay with American Express.
This is what I did.
I called American Express before purchasing the gowns (I ordered 3 Mother/Sister Gowns, and 1 bride gown). They told me if there are any problems to put a stop payment.
When the dresses arrived it was a total disaster the bodice of the dress was by the knees, don't ask. I cancelled payment.
I tried to send back the dresses, but there was no return address on the envelope it came in. Yes it came in a big envelope, All 4 dresses.
I was never charged for the dresses, nor did the company contact me.
Buyer Beware

cnc

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 9:13 am
I have not ordered a dress, but I know people that have ordered other expensive items and they were a total mess and flop.
I would never do it again.

shacn

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 9:20 am
The dresses NEVER look like the photo. Either runs WAY too small or when they try to make it run normal they make it run big. If you will get it make sure to check ur cm measurements. Be very careful and don't be fooled by the price! No customs.

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 10:59 am
Never again.
I ordered a dress specific to their measurements /sizes shown online. I also ordered two extra pieces of material to work with.
Well the dress was wonky, totally not as the picture showed, different material than I chose as well as the extra pieces being A DIFFERENT COLOR!!
They refused to refund and said that they don't exchange or accept returns. I lost $180 on that and I was so upset.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 1:22 pm
Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it, it's becoming clear that it is not worth the risk! Also wondering if would be different if we just did the little girl dresses this way? Is that more of a sure thing? Thoughts?

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 1:24 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
Never again.
I ordered a dress specific to their measurements /sizes shown online. I also ordered two extra pieces of material to work with.
Well the dress was wonky, totally not as the picture showed, different material than I chose as well as the extra pieces being A DIFFERENT COLOR!!
They refused to refund and said that they don't exchange or accept returns. I lost $180 on that and I was so upset.

That's insane! And so upsetting. it seemed temptingly like a good way to save money, but I also don't have the extra cash to swallow the loss if it comes to that. It still costs money...

cnc

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 1:26 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it, it's becoming clear that it is not worth the risk! Also wondering if would be different if we just did the little girl dresses this way? Is that more of a sure thing? Thoughts?

I've purchased little dresses on ebay. They are from China but are shipped from the US. They run short so you have to size up and then take them in. After the alterations and hassle, not sure how worth it it was. I could have gone to a local rental for the exact same amount of money. The dress is mine to keep but the quality was poor so I only got one use out of it.

MamaBear

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 1:48 pm
If you use a major credit card, you are likely protected through them if anything goes wrong. I would try it with the little girls dresses if it's just a few of them.

chavamom

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 7:20 am
I had a great experience with a dress for my daughter BUT I ordered from a site with good reviews and I paid $10 extra to have it "made to measure" instead of standard sizing. I had the measurements done by a seamstress here and sent them all the measurements they wanted. If you want to PM me, I can show you photos of the finished product.

5*Mom

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 9:00 am
chavamom wrote:
I had a great experience with a dress for my daughter BUT I ordered from a site with good reviews and I paid $10 extra to have it "made to measure" instead of standard sizing. I had the measurements done by a seamstress here and sent them all the measurements they wanted. If you want to PM me, I can show you photos of the finished product.

Hi chavamom! Can I ask which site that was?

chavamom

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 9:01 am
thecelebritydresses.com
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics