Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Question about "Don't walk in front of me" tune

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 1:15 pm
You know the song, Don't walk in front of me I may not follow, don't walk behind me I may not lead, just walk beside me and be my friend and together we will walk in the ways of Hashem." Are those words the original words for that tune, or was the tune taken from another song? Thanks!
And since this isn't amother-enabled anyone with an answer can feel free to pm me.

greenfire

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 1:36 pm
for starters this is a poem written by Albert Camus that some person [I imagine jewish based on the end of the song] used to make a song - and yes the tune is also to an already existing song

"Tachas asher kinei leilokav, vayechaper al b'nei Yisroel"

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 1:38 pm
greenfire wrote:
for starters this is a poem written by Albert Camus that some person [I imagine jewish based on the end of the song] used to make a song - and yes the tune is also to an already existing song

"Tachas asher kinei leilokav, vayechaper al b'nei Yisroel"

I remember that! And those are the original words to the tune?

5mom

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 1:39 pm
I don't know about the tune, though most Uncle Moishy tunes are adapted from elsewhere. But strangely enough, the lyrics (minus the last line) have been erroneously attributed to Albert Camus. He absolutely didn't write the words.

greenfire

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 2:11 pm
I learned this poem in grade school and as I recall it was written by Albert Cambus ... I cannot tell you where he got it from

the song with hebrew words are also a distant memory from camp where it was sung in rounds starting halfway through ...

simcha2

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 2:57 pm
We learnt it as a round with the Hebrew being "lo yisa [gentile] el [gentile] cherev, lo ilmado od milchama"

Last edited by simcha2 on Mon, May 16 2016, 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

sweetpotato

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 2:58 pm
Apparently, the quote is popularly attributed to Camus, but there's no evidence he said or wrote this: http://quoteinvestigator.com/2.....iend/

Apparently, he wrote something of a similar jist in one of his novels, but definitely not the poem. It's just one of those things that took on a life of its own, as it wont to happen on the internet.

MyUsername

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 3:32 pm
So I was told that the song is actually a hippy song from the 70s, and the tune is the same but the words were adapted. I don't have any real sources from this, just some people who were teenagers in the 70s. This could be totally wrong, but if anyone anyone else has heard this and has more info. . .

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 7:26 pm
MyUsername wrote:
So I was told that the song is actually a hippy song from the 70s, and the tune is the same but the words were adapted. I don't have any real sources from this, just some people who were teenagers in the 70s. This could be totally wrong, but if anyone anyone else has heard this and has more info. . .

I wouldn't be surprised to hear it was a hippie song. Yet there is something Jewish about it. I guess it was effectively redeemed ;-)
Anyway, the question's moot now, turned out not to be necessary to get an answer. But now I'm just plain curious Tongue Out

The Happy Wife

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 8:00 pm
Gosh, I really feel like I learned this song in my (not Jewish) Girl Scout troop. But I can't think of any alternate lyrics.

S1959

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 1:21 am
I just saw this old post. On Google search, you can tap " Search a Song", hum a tune and it will search. Apparently, "Don't walk in Front of Me" is the same tune as a song called ""Jai Da Da" by Regula Curti, Tina Turner, and Dechen Shak-Dags. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lk74Qk-yOq8

S1959

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 1:37 am
Oops . The Jai Da Da song is from 2011 so they must have copied Uncle Moishy or whoever he got it from.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics