Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Any ideas for affordable modern community?

amother

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 5:59 pm
Willing to look in most places but west coast and looking for reasonable sized community with lots of young modern families and rentals under $1500 for a nice 2-3 bedroom place.. Any ideas?

cfriedman2

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 7:39 pm
How modern? Balt has a nice modern school (Beth Tfilah) and you could find housing in your price range. Silver spring is a little more modern (certain areas) but housing is more expensive

boysrus

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 8:34 pm
amother wrote:
Willing to look in most places but west coast and looking for reasonable sized community with lots of young modern families and rentals under $1500 for a nice 2-3 bedroom place.. Any ideas?

what type of modern? modern orthodox? modern yeshivish? if you clarify we might be able to advise you better.

doctorima

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 8:47 pm
Did you mean West Coast? Because there aren't that many large communities there altogether, and nobody would describe LA as modern and cheap. And cheaper places like San Diego, Seattle, and Portland still aren't cheap, and wouldn't be described as having a large group of young modern families. Maybe you meant East coast?

amother

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 9:15 pm
Elizabeth, NJ

amother

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 2:00 pm
Cleveland has a nice MO kehilla. A few MO shuls to choose from, an MO day school that goes from 2 year olds to 12th grade, Bnai Akiva, etc., and affordable housing.

semandbeyond

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 6:05 pm
Richmond, VA has small but growing MO community. Reasonable housing and free school tuition.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 6:17 pm
Richmond Virginia!

lucky14

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 7:00 pm
semandbeyond wrote:
Richmond, VA has small but growing MO community. Reasonable housing and free school tuition.

They have a jewish school? Or public school?

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 8:33 am
I found this on the web:

In Richmond, VA, just a short drive from DC, Baltimore and New York you will find a vibrant Jewish community of wholesome living in a uniquely Southern environment. In this land of “Sirs” and “Ma’ams”, where good middos are second nature, our Jewish day school K-8, Boys Yeshiva High School and Beis Midrash, and Girls High School offer top quality educational programs taught by mechanchim with average tenure in our schools of over 18 years. Tuition is free for the first year for all new families to Richmond and, beginning in September 2013, a state sponsored education improvement scholarship program will enable the community to provide full tuition scholarships for grades K-12 for modest income families (for example a family of four children with income under $92,910 would qualify). There are multiple choices for davening, an array of adult learning opportunities, a fully functioning Vaad Hakashrus, an eruv and a beautiful mikvah. In addition to its great location, Richmond boasts an array of outdoor, indoor, historic and cultural activities. In 2012 AOL-Gadling rated Richmond “America’s Most Underrated City” and Outdoor Magazine called Richmond “the Best Town Ever.” The Richmond Jewish community was recently featured in Inyan magazine. The article can be found at the following link: http://www.kbirichmond.com/KBI%20Article.pdf. We would love for you to be our guests in Richmond, so please visit so we can extend our Southern hospitality to you. To visit, or for more information about our community, please contact Stuart Cantor at 804-433-1512 (or by e-mail at scantor@trustmor.com) or Rabbi Dovid Asher at 804-288-7953 (or by e-mail at dovidasher@gmail.com).

Does anyone know if that actually happened?

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 10:37 am
ETA: Sorry, I got confused with another poster on a different thread who said she was looking for a modern community! Sorry. Yeah, if you don't need restaurants, etc... Richmond VA is a nice place.

I was thinking Richmond, but you said you like going out (to eat, shows, etc...) I don't know if you will have so many opportunities like that in Richmond.

Boca sounds like it might be a good fit for you. Tons of restaurants, stuff to do. There is the original "modern" community near Jog Road/ Winn-Dixie (which ranges from LWMO to YU type), plus East Boca has a more yeshivish community. Schooling goes all the way to 12th grade in the MO schools.
I get the impression that there are LOTS of transplants there. Obviously, I didn't to a statistical ananlysis of the place, but I get the impression that many of the families that live there are not from there, they didn't all go to the same schools Stern/Mesorah/Brovender's, etc.... There are a lot of threads on Boca, you can do a search.

If you are MO, I wouldn't suggest Baltimore. It's an amazing place, but the "modern" community is pretty small. Beth Tfillo is a school that many people are really happy in, but I believe that the percentage of shomer shabbos families is less than 50%. If you are modern, then silver spring is a better fit, probably. Silver Spring is another area that has tons of transplants.

Last edited by ruchelbuckle on Tue, Jun 23 2015, 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 10:40 am
doctorima wrote:
Did you mean West Coast? Because there aren't that many large communities there altogether, and nobody would describe LA as modern and cheap. And cheaper places like San Diego, Seattle, and Portland still aren't cheap, and wouldn't be described as having a large group of young modern families. Maybe you meant East coast?

She said she is willing to look anywhere BUT the west coast. Meaning specifically not on the west coast

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 10:57 am
Atlanta

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 10:58 am
You should look into houston TX

https://www.facebook.com/Houst.....unity

ShoshLay

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 1:47 pm
Hi. My browsing has led me to this older post. If you have not yet acted on moving plans, look into Harrisburg, PA. I moved here a year and a half ago, and find it to be a welcoming and lovely community. The kids here have grown up with wonderful middot, a good sense of community, and many are taking leadership in other communities now that they are older (those who haven't gone on Aliyah!). Lovely housing can be purchased for $150-225K (plus or minus). We don't have a good supply of apartments, so you will be renting a house with a nice, green back yard for $1500/month. Tuition prices are kept low by state tax credits, with further grants based on income. In brief, we have all the necessary Orthodox amenities, plus a hashkafically mixed group of families. Give it consideration!

pearled

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 7:56 pm
Hi there,
Come look into our warm and wonderful community in Northeast Philadelphia. We are about 90 minutes from Brooklyn, Very affordable housing- rentals between $800-$1200 for 2-3 bedroom walkin garden apartments, ($150K + to buy 3-4 bedroom home) , schools that will warmly embrace you and be happy to give you significant tuition breaks along with significant help from state voucher money... Out of town crowd with no need to "keep up with the neighbors." Lots of kosher food, some restaurants, and great shuls. Active Bnai Akiva, modern orthodox schools within area. Feel free to pm me for more info... Here's our shul's website- www.biozshul.org

Wishing you lots of luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating