Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How do I get kids in the preschool to listen to me?

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 10:47 pm
How do I get them to respect me and listen to me? I might be getting a job as a preschool teacher next year and I am a little nervous because this year I subbed a lot in schools and it was very hard to get the kids to listen to me.

anonymrs

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 10:58 pm
I highly recommend this book http://www.amazon.com/How-Talk.....24728 .

the world's best mom

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 11:23 pm
Love them first. When kids feel that you love them, they will WANT to listen to you. Take the time to get to know each child and appreciate each one's value.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 11:26 pm
Also, you need to feel confidence in your ability so that you will speak with authority. Disobeying won't be an option. Kids can sense when their teacher is scared to say something because she is afraid the kids won't listen to her.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, May 16 2016, 11:34 pm
Find a good teacher to observe eta : fot at least a week.
And take note of her skills and her methods

seeker

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 1:20 am
The How to Talk book is a great resource.

Also, things will be different when you have your own class than as a sub. When you're a sub even little kids know you're the one on their turf. It takes a very very skilled teacher to overcome that. It's a shame subbing usually goes to the people with the least experience! When you're the teacher you'll feel more in control so you won't have to work as hard to project it. Also, you have time to build a relationship with the kids, and these things are highly dependent on a relationship.

The details you'll have to figure out elsewhere but one thing I just beg of you - be positive. That doesn't mean everything is always happy and cheerful and that you only reward and never punish. It means that you tell the kids what TO do and not what they're doing wrong. It means that you say "Show me good listening" and not "Why aren't you listening?!" It means "When you're quiet on line then we can go to the yard" instead of "We can't go to the yard because you're not quiet yet." It's a habit - if you're not in the habit, you get there by practicing. If you are in the habit, you'll still end up saying things the other way sometimes and that's ok, what matters is that the overall habit is positive. I cannot even tell you what a humongous difference this makes to the overall atmosphere in the classroom, especially in preschool. I'm not even talking about how nice or not nice it is for the kids, you asked how to get them to listen and I'm telling you this makes at least 80% of the difference.

imasinger

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 6:47 am
Well said, Seeker!

Kids of all ages appreciate love and approval.

They also do best with regular structure. Establish a set routine from the beginning, and even the wild ones will usually follow. Make sure to have simple, appropriate rules, such as, "everyone has to be safe."

Also, do your best to catch them being good, and even to create such opportunities. I saw a fabulous kindergarten teacher handle a situation where a boy threw a toy at another. Just as the victim was reaching to throw or hit the first kid, she swooped in, grabbed the toy, and said, "X, you are such a tzaddik! I saw him throw that at you, and how you wanted to throw it at him. But you showed beautiful control, and didn't do it. Good for you. Y, what is the rule about usng toys?"

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 12:24 am
My twins are 9 and we all STILL sing this song from time to time that they learned in preschool---- it stuck with us--- it's positive, fun for preschoolers to sing, and great to reinforce behaviors.

sing to the tune of london bridges falling down....

Listening ears and looking eyes
Inside Voice
Hands To Self
Pretzel Legs and Walking Feet
Keep.... Us... Safe

(pretzel legs means crossed legs at circle time so that nobody trips over legs that are out into the circle Smile

Reinforcing the positive always like what was said above.....

Listening ears--- rather than stop talking. Looking eyes--- rather than pay attention! Inside voice --- rather than---- SHHHH! Hands to Self---- rather than stop hitting! Pretzel legs rather than---- don't tip your friends! Walking feet rather than--- stop running!

Have fun! Hatzlacha!

miri36

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 8:31 am
Be very consistent. The first month they will be testing you. Stand strong, love them, and put in proper boundaries. Kids crave consistency. If you keep to a routine and let them know what is going to be happening, they will feel secure. Give 5 minute warnings before transition times. I had small pictures of the schedule of the day. The first few weeks we just reviewed it at every step over and over. Then we would do it once in the morning. If there was going to be a schedule change like a birthday etc. we would move the pictures around and show them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics