Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby sleeps comfortably in bed but not in crib/pack n play

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 4:06 pm
Please help.

B"H my baby is eight weeks.

In the early evening, I am able to work while watching my baby. I put him on my bed (on the linen, not on the blanket) and he sleeps so comfortably. He's on his back and stretches out with his arms up, breathing softly. He sleeps for 3 hours straight

He eats his formula and I put him back to sleep in his pack n play and he tosses, turns, makes noise, etc. I'm lucky if I get 2 hours out of him.

He does NOT like to be swaddled - even at 2 weeks, he tried to kick out of it.

I am petrified of doing anything to increase the risk of SIDS ch'v so I don't want him to sleep in my bed while I'm sleeping, even if I'm not in it.

He also doesn't sleep well in his bassinet. I think he finds my mattress more comfortable than his crib/pack n play (with a mattress).

Is there a way to make him more comfortable?

Any advice? I'm sooooo tired.

TIA

mha3484

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 4:10 pm
The pack and play mattress is extremely thin. I have never had a baby sleep well in one. You can buy a thicker one to go inside.

Delores

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 4:35 pm
It could be the smell of your bed (your smell) that is comforting him. Try putting him in the crib with one of your used t-shirts or pillow case.

gibberish

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 4:39 pm
Delores wrote:
It could be the smell of your bed (your smell) that is comforting him. Try putting him in the crib with one of your used t-shirts or pillow case.

Very unsafe. There should not be anything else in the crib with the baby.

water_bear88

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 4:40 pm
What pps said about mattress and smell. If you're uncomfortable with extra things in the crib, cuddle up to sleep with his crib sheet for two or three nights before putting it on his mattress so it picks up some of your smell.

Delores

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 4:43 pm
gibberish wrote:
Very unsafe. There should not be anything else in the crib with the baby.

Are you serious? Your baby sleeps without a sheet? Without a bumper around the crib? Without a blanket?? I would place a pillow case or t shirt under an 8 week old baby. I fail to see the safety concern here.

pesek zman

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 4:48 pm
Delores wrote:
Are you serious? Your baby sleeps without a sheet? Without a bumper around the crib? Without a blanket?? I would place a pillow case or t shirt under an 8 week old baby. I fail to see the safety concern here.

Yes my baby sleeps without a blanket and without bumpers. It is well known that both (as well as a tshirt or stuffed animals etc) can put baby at risk of suffocation. That's the concern

gibberish

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 4:49 pm
Delores wrote:

Tight fitted sheet only. No blankets or pumpers.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 4:56 pm
Delores wrote:

Yes, she probably is serious. Bumpers and blankets are extremely dangerous for babies that age. Even people who do sleep in the bed with the baby don't use blankets because it's very dangerous. Many baby stores are stopping selling Bumpers because of the danger. There should be nothing in the crib but a fitted sheet. If op wants to try the smell thing, she should sleep with the crib sheet and then put it on the crib mattress the next day.

MMCH

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 7:06 pm
none of my babies slept on the Pac n play mattress- its really thin

they sell a pac n play mattress that is thicker

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Me.....tress

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 8:54 pm
Argh!
OP here...

my pac n play DOES have a mattress....I noted that towards the end of my op

I don't think its my smell because he sleeps much better on ANY standard bed, not just mine!

Any other advice?

mommyla

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 8:58 pm
Do you have a mattress pad under your sheets? Maybe he likes the cozier quilted surface.

lfab

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 10:44 am
I had the exact same issue with my last baby. She would only sleep if she was in my bed. Eventually she did grow out of it but it took several months before she was willing to sleep in her pack n play or crib. Very frustrating. Sorry that I don't have any real advice for you.
Only thing I can think of is a co-sleeper bassinet that goes directly on your bed such as http://www.amazon.com/SwaddleM.....eeper
or http://www.amazon.com/First-Ye.....eper. Not sure if these would work or not since baby won't be directly on your mattress, but maybe worth a shot.

Beyla

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 11:59 am
All my babies were like yours! They loved sleeping in my bed. Lack of sleep made me decide to educate myself about safe cosleeping. That was my solution as we did get a lot more sleep this way. Maybe can you try to learn about how to safely sleep with baby?? Hatzlacha and Mazel Tov!

water_bear88

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 12:06 pm
Beyla wrote:
All my babies were like yours! They loved sleeping in my bed. Lack of sleep made me decide to educate myself about safe cosleeping. That was my solution as we did get a lot more sleep this way. Maybe can you try to learn about how to safely sleep with baby?? Hatzlacha and Mazel Tov!

From what I've read, safe cosleeping means breastfeeding. Formula-feeding raises SIDS risk, especially when cosleeping.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics