Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ChickenPox in Brooklyn Kids sent home
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 6:48 pm
amother wrote:
I edited my post because I just reviewed the chapter on chicken pox and I'm not finding that part. I'm fairly certain it is somewhere in the book but I don't have time to read the whole thing right now and don't want to misquote it.

Some facts I'm reading now:

Know severe reactions to vaccine: pneumonitis, a severe inflammatory reaction in the lungs that causes respiratory difficulty and may require intensive medical care was reported to occur at a rate between 1 in 100 and 1 in 1000 test subjects.

Post Marketing Surveillance: ITP, neurological reactions including encephalitis, stroke, spinal cord inflammation and dysfunction, Guillain-Barre syndrome, facial nerve paralysis, dizziness, lack of coordination, seizures without fever, meningitis, pneumonia, severe skin reactions including Stevens-Johnson syndrome, Henoch-Schonlein purpura, bacterial skin and tissue infections and herpes zoster (aka shingles).

So the severe reactions mentioned here are side effects of the vaccine too.

Also quoted from his book:
"virtually all cases pass without severe complications. About 1 in 65,000 cases is fatal and we have between 2 and 10 fatalities each year in the United States" (about the disease, not the vaccine)

Right, because the vaccine is LIVE.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 6:51 pm
amother wrote:
If vaccinated kids can get it, they can also spread it just as well. Here's where I don't understand how people can keep blaming the unvaccinated for this.

(Exactly)
Again, the vaccine is LIVE. A vaccinated child is just so a carrier to spread it.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 7:43 pm
amother wrote:
(Exactly)
Again, the vaccine is LIVE. A vaccinated child is just so a carrier to spread it.

In the handouts provided by the hospital where I was due to give birth said that anyone within 6 WEEKS of a chickenpox shot would not be allowed to visit anybody in the maternity ward.

Otherwise known as "shedding," it explains why the newly vaccinated spread disease for which they are vaccinated against.

What an upside-down world we live in.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 8:07 pm
amother wrote:
Getting chickenpox DOES NOT mean you won't ever get it again. I had it twice. So did some friends of mine. Getting it doesn't mean full immunity so EVERYONE needs their titers checked if they got it or the vaccine.
And getting chickenpox means you are likely to get shingles later.

My son had shingles when he was 5 and he was vaccinated for chicken pox.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 8:14 pm
amother wrote:
Right, because the vaccine is LIVE.

Right. My point was that you have the same side effects as the horror stories people posted about so it's no proof that the vaccine is best. I think lifelong immunity is best. Yes, immunity may have reliefed upon regular exposures after having it yourself so it may not be as strong as in the past but it is still better than the vaccine. And it's common knowledge that having it before 1 does not guarantee immunity. I have never heard of a case of someone having it twice after age 1.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 8:18 pm
amother wrote:
My son had shingles when he was 5 and he was vaccinated for chicken pox.

Now there's a shingles vaccine that I'm sure will be required for children soon especially if children are getting it.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 10:41 pm
amother wrote:
Right. My point was that you have the same side effects as the horror stories people posted about so it's no proof that the vaccine is best. I think lifelong immunity is best. Yes, immunity may have reliefed upon regular exposures after having it yourself so it may not be as strong as in the past but it is still better than the vaccine. And it's common knowledge that having it before 1 does not guarantee immunity. I have never heard of a case of someone having it twice after age 1.

Me. Had it twice after 1.
I am pro vax. Also pro getting titers checked regularly to see if boosters are needed.

LittleDucky

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 10:42 pm
Shouldn't this be moved to controversial topics? Please move it!

Reported my own post so moderator can see it.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 11:16 pm
We live near Brooklyn, and my fully vaccinated dd just got a rash that looks like chicken pox.
I guess she'll be home for a while ! Crying

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 9:06 am
fleetwood wrote:
It wasn't a no big deal disease when I caught it at 24 and my sister at 21! We were both deathly ill.

Didn't read the whole thread yet but yes, I agree.
I was raising my kids when the shot came out and waivers were common. Pediatricians were leaving it up to parents and suggesting, but get the shot if they don't get it by age 10 because it will be harder then. So that's what we did. Turned out all my kids got chicken pox, one batch caught it from friends who got a mild case after getting the shot. My kids got it full blown.

So I understand why people feel, let the kids get it. But now that it's so uncommon, I would probably give my kids the shot.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 9:07 am
amother wrote:
Getting chickenpox DOES NOT mean you won't ever get it again. I had it twice. So did some friends of mine. Getting it doesn't mean full immunity so EVERYONE needs their titers checked if they got it or the vaccine.
And getting chickenpox means you are likely to get shingles later.

Yeah, shingles is an issue.
I got chicken pox twice and so did one of my kids. We were both under one when we got our first case and it was full blown then, and mild the second time around as teens.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 9:13 am
amother wrote:
Maybe you're the stupid one for being part of that community.

Scratching Head
You don't have to be from Willi to be considered part of the community by people who aren't aware of the spectrum of Orthodoxy. We're all Williamsburg to some people.

I will leave aside your apparent assertion that anyone who lives in Williamsburg is stupid. The thread hasn't got locked yet and I don't want to cause it to get locked.

mille

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 11:44 am
amother wrote:
Chicken pox is really one of the no-big-deal diseases.

20 years ago, no one was vaccinated for it.

25 years ago, my father was hospitalized for chicken pox. He never got it as a child despite being exposed multiple times. He got it when I got it as a toddler. My brother got it the same time, and being older than me he got it much worse. He still has scars, despite not scratching/picking.

I never understood the argument of "we used to never vaccinate/do this/etc in the past". We never used to wash our hands before surgery before, either. That wasn't a great idea, and now we know better. We never used to vaccinate for small pox either, before the vaccine was developed... and then it was, and guess what: we eradicated a disease as a result!

gp2.0

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 12:16 pm
my 3 yo DD actually got chicken pox 2 years ago. She was miserable for a few days and go tell a 1 year old not to scratch...so she has a few small scars.

Here's the fun part: she will be getting the chicken pox vaccine before entering school because it's NYC law. I can choose to get her titers checked instead, but if she's going to be stuck with a needle, she may as well be getting the vaccine instead of just proving a point.

Maybe

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 12:19 pm
mille wrote:
25 years ago, my father was hospitalized for chicken pox. He never got it as a child despite being exposed multiple times. He got it when I got it as a toddler. My brother got it the same time, and being older than me he got it much worse. He still has scars, despite not scratching/picking.

I never understood the argument of "we used to never vaccinate/do this/etc in the past". We never used to wash our hands before surgery before, either. That wasn't a great idea, and now we know better. We never used to vaccinate for small pox either, before the vaccine was developed... and then it was, and guess what: we eradicated a disease as a result!

You know you father's case is extremely rare.

Hand washing was resisted by the MDs while patients where dying

Who was ever afraid of ChikenFeet before they had a drug to sell ?

The MD who promoted hand washing was locked up in a mental ward & was dead/killed in 2 weeks before they would admit he was right https://www.google.com/#safe=s.....lweis

Iymnok

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 2:42 pm
amother wrote:
Not sure what's so hard to understand. My grandparents suffered from SIF. They very much wanted more children. I don't know many details, it's not something they were all that open about, but I know many doctors blamed the SIF on my grandfather's chickenpox. I don't know if that's really true- we're talking over 50 years ago, so who knows. But it might have been a factor. Adult chickenpox is definitely a nasty business, and even before the vaccinevaccine, there were who missed catching it as kids and caught it in adulthood.

My two brothers and one sister had chicken pox the same time as my father (another sister and I didn't get it then).
My mother (later) told me that they were concerned about having more kids then because chicken pox can reduce fertility/sperm count in men.
So if that was her grandfather's problem to begin with, the assertion make sense.

Chayalle

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 2:44 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
my 3 yo DD actually got chicken pox 2 years ago. She was miserable for a few days and go tell a 1 year old not to scratch...so she has a few small scars.

Here's the fun part: she will be getting the chicken pox vaccine before entering school because it's NYC law. I can choose to get her titers checked instead, but if she's going to be stuck with a needle, she may as well be getting the vaccine instead of just proving a point.

That's strange. My DD had the chicken pox at 11 months, and on her chart it says the date of the disease, instead of the vaccine date. IOW you either get the disease or you get the vaccine, not both.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 2:47 pm
gp2.0 wrote:

You should actually check that out because I once heard (never checked out cuz wasn't shayach) that getting a vaccine for something you had the disease of could be very dangerous and worse than getting the vaccine in the first place.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 4:15 pm
gp2.0 wrote:

I had my sons titers checked before deciding to vaccinate him for school. He DIDNT get it as a little kid, but was fully exposed (chicken pox party) 3 times so I wanted to check. I'd rather NOT vaccinate for things I don't have to.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics