Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Please help with protein ideas to send for school lunch
Previous  1  2  3  4

srbmom

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 10:18 am
I'm pretty sure Trader Joes make gluten free frozen waffles
Also, as far as veggies as a snack, maybe try ones that are a little sweeter - grape tomatoes, red pepper, jicama...
What about smoothies? I make them for my daughter and freeze them in silicone molds you can buy on Amazon. Then I put them in her lunch frozen (in a ziploc bag to avoid a mess) and they defrost by lunch time

srbmom

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 10:20 am
Also, I'm sure you've run across this website, but it's one of my favorites
http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/

L25

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 11:14 am
thank you for the detoxinista recommendation- there's so many recipes I can't wait to try!

seeker

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 5:09 pm
Thanks for all the ideas!

TBH I'm already getting burned out from all the sifting through recipes and trying new things. I hope we find some favorites and settle down soon. Today's mini tuna wraps were returned with exactly one nibble missing. Corn was eaten, salad half eaten but it was pretty generous portion to begin with, and string beans about half eaten. So not too bad overall but it looks like one of my staple main dishes is failing lately.

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 10:00 pm
Update:
Made lentil burgers and she loved them! With plenty of ketchup, but whatever.
On the flipside I tried using a little soy-based imitation cheese to give her the familiar flavor, and we discovered a scary soy allergy. So there goes a whole category of ideas.

Overall I'd say we're doing OK in the menu area but dismally in terms of my time and lunch management. I have not figured out how to fit this into my schedule.

Oddly, I wasn't really worried about vegetables because those didn't have to change and she usually (used to?) eat plenty, but most of her vegetables have been returning home after school. (Of course the fruits and snacks don't have this problem.)

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 10:03 pm
seeker wrote:
Update:
Made lentil burgers and she loved them! With plenty of ketchup, but whatever.
On the flipside I tried using a little soy-based imitation cheese to give her the familiar flavor, and we discovered a scary soy allergy. So there goes a whole category of ideas.

Overall I'd say we're doing OK in the menu area but dismally in terms of my time and lunch management. I have not figured out how to fit this into my schedule.

Oddly, I wasn't really worried about vegetables because those didn't have to change and she usually (used to?) eat plenty, but most of her vegetables have been returning home after school. (Of course the fruits and snacks don't have this problem.)

So glad to hear about the burgers!
There is Daiya cheese out there which is dairy free and soy free. Made with peas. But hardly any protein, just adds flavor. Some other brands too.

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 10:10 pm
Yep, bought some and maybe we'll make a fake-pizza party in honor of all our graduations.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen