Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Can't stay on top of the house
Previous  1  2  3  4

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 10:50 am
Cleaning help is not cheap so you use the minimum.
I know for me it takes her 4 hours to do the basic - floors (I NEVER sweep or mop my floor, she does it once a week), change linen, clean bathroom, wash up dishes and wipe down kitchen and then fold any washing on the couch or vacum the entrance hall.
That is 40$. Once a week.
I would love to have her more often but I just can't.
eta: Even these 4 hours is a luxury for me, I won't deny that cleaning help is a luxury but for many it is a very very important and necessary luxury.

3 hours technically is also enough to pick up toys and sweep the floor, so $30 a week x 4 = $120 a month, not cheap but if the mother doesn't have time (she is working all day and has the kids) and the father can't or won't help, then it definitely is important. No question.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 11:41 am
cnc wrote:
Wow.
For how many hours?

It's not by hour, but just flat cost for cleaning the house. It's two ladies they take about 2.5 hours. If I had every week just for that amount of time it would be 400 a month so I just do every other week, but I would prefer every week. Oh well.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 11:42 am
In Passaic I pay $10/ hr.

cnc

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 11:44 am
amother wrote:
in brooklyn its $10 an hour if someone has 3-5 a week thats $30-$50 per week x 4 += $120-$200 a month = $1,440 -$2,000 a year - not so cheap in my opinion

That's all relative to how much the person is making a year.
I personally would rather cut down in other areas so that I can have cleaning help . Every person has their wants/priorities, though if I had to pay $100 for a visit I would think quite a few times before splurging on cleaning help.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 12:13 pm
Personally, I would rather one night a week of not cooking and cleaning myself we all have our own priorities.

observer

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 12:16 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Personally, I would rather one night a week of not cooking and cleaning myself we all have our own priorities.

Ok, let's make a deal, I'll cook for you and you clean for me Wink

Kfar

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 9:47 pm
There is a difference between dirty and messy. Dirty is not acceptable and messy is often a difference of opinion. DH needs to help or get you help, period end of story. He actually doesn't work more hours than you since all the housework and childcare seems to be your responsibility in addition to a full time job. That makes you the winner in the working harder contest -- he needs to stop being so selfish. Maybe your Rav should speak with him.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 10:38 pm
Kfar wrote:
There is a difference between dirty and messy. Dirty is not acceptable and messy is often a difference of opinion. DH needs to help or get you help, period end of story. He actually doesn't work more hours than you since all the housework and childcare seems to be your responsibility in addition to a full time job. That makes you the winner in the working harder contest -- he needs to stop being so selfish. Maybe your Rav should speak with him.

Thanks. We're not the kind of people to consult a Rav over stuff like this. I don't see it as a contest that I've "won," either. Thankfully the last few days he has helped more.

Kfar

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 6:45 pm
Great -- I am very glad to hear that,because based on your original post his helping was a nonstarter. Having worked at an extremely demanding job for many years with lots of childcare responsibility, I know that sometimes you need to get help even if your inclination is to try and do everything yourself (mine) and those around you are not easily convinced to pitch in. Don't give up now that you are getting some much needed assistance!

Miri7

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 7:09 pm
Cleaning can also be a thing you do together - DH and I get good quality time together folding laundry and cleaning the kitchen together. We can talk about the kids, our day, plans, politics.... It makes the task a lot more enjoyable.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics