Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Can I teach if I can't control a class? can I learn how?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 7:19 pm
I currently work in a high school resource room but my dream is to teach. I have taught here and there for a few months taking over for teachers but it was almost always disastrous. I am the quiet, smart type not the dramatic, fun, creative type. I am good at explaining things clearly and make interesting lessons. However, I do not exude authority or confidence and the students take advantage of that.
I really do not like working one-on-one and would love to teach in a classroom. I am passionate about the subject I would like to teach and feel like I would teach important skills. If I do not have confidence can I still teach or should I just give it up?

I have a Masters, I'm qualified in regard to knowledge and ability - just can't control girls.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 7:22 pm
Become a teacher's aide to an excellent teacher and learn from her. That's the best way!

There are books to read that are very good too, but nothing compares to seeing a great teacher in action.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 7:57 pm
Have you gone to a teaching college and received a degree? What was your practicum like for you.

cbg

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 7:59 pm
This something I do when I substitute and it works every time.
Get little candys like chocolate lentils or tiny pieces of twizzlers. As you teach place one on the desk of the student you like the way they are behaving. The other students will start emulating that behavior in order to get a small piece of candy. Continue this throughout the lesson. Some people call this bribing, I call it immediate positive reinforcement. It works every time, even on 17 year old high school seniors. Something about food always gets people's attention.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 8:17 pm
What age are you looking to teach? We had one dikduk teacher, who was not good at controlling a class, but knew her stuff and knew how to explain it so you knew it. You can bet your life that when it came to exam time, or taking dikduk as an elective and we wanted to do well, she didn't have to do any disciplining because we wanted to learn from her.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 8:22 pm
I can't control a class and I think I can never learn how to do it. They smell my weakness and happy to have fun on my account. Sad I'm not teaching anymore. You can't change a personality.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 8:25 pm
yOungM0mmy wrote:
What age are you looking to teach?

op here.
It would be easiest to control elementary students; however, I am not the type to do projects and songs and fun activites. I would love to teach middle school but that is the toughest age. High school is easier to teach in regard to dealing with the students, since they will enjoy an intellectual/challenging class, yet I can't commit to the workload with grading/preparing on such a high level since it will be too much work for me.

so yes, my ideal is middle school. but they test me and make me feel like a nothing and destroy me

Lady Bug

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 8:57 pm
Work on your self esteem and assertiveness, and then revisit the classroom.

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 12:34 am
It is partly a learned skill and partly an ability, IMO. Some people definitely "have it" more naturally than others but I doubt you will find very many skilled teachers today who did not have a hard time at the beginning of their career.

I do think it sounds like you aren't ready for this, but it could be I'm reading too harshly into your tone when really I shouldn't. For example, when considering teaching elementary school I could think of many things to consider before "easy to control" (P.S. don't take that for granted; behaviors start pretty early on... my worst class by far, and I mean really disastrous, was a 3rd grade sub job) And no matter what age you teach, you will need a thick skin - nobody should be able to "make you feel like a nothing and destroy you" - though I think we've all had some days like that, you need to be able to pull yourself together and rise above it overall. Also if you'd love to teach middle school I'm not sure why you also say that's the toughest age. I think for most people the thing they love is the least "tough." It's about what and who you can have a relationship with. Sure a lot of issues come up in middle school, but that's true at many ages, and there's no reason to be scared off from it if you think you can talk to that age. There's a lot to like about middle school; they're starting to be these real people you can talk to and relate to, while still mostly being pretty innocent and impressionable. You get to be the first one to get them into exciting topics. They aren't yet bombarded with loads of pressure and work (in most schools. Unfortunately I have seen some stressy middle schools too, but usually they're still pretty light.) They will still appreciate some fun stuff. I'm not sure what you mean by not "the type" to do projects and activities. This is part of teaching. Did you not know this when you chose your career? If you like the idea of teaching a more serious class on the intellectually engaging high school level, why do you think you're not up to it? You can essentially teach the same lesson to several parallel classes at that level, so the preparing isn't necessarily that much harder than having to do every subject for an elementary class. And grading doesn't have to be so hard, either, you can give multiple choice/short answer tests and quizzes with minimal essays, and then if a couple of times a year you have to spend chunks of evening grading essays, well again what did you think teaching would be like? I'm not on imamother at midnight for lack of work.

One thing to keep in mind is that teaching is DEFINITELY easier than subbing with regard to classroom management. You get to start from day 1 making your impression, while the students are also trying to make an impression on you, there's that feeling that they will have to live with you all year so even though many will be challenging anyway there isn't as much abandon as with a sub where even if you will tell the teacher, they won't have to deal with you tomorrow. When issues do come up you can deal with them in more long-term, effective ways rather than just go home feeling like a failure and never getting a real second chance. So definitely don't formulate your teaching self-esteem based mostly on subbing experiences.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 12:59 am
I just started teaching middle school for two subjects I adore and I'm also having trouble with the discipline side of things. (I taught a high school elective before this, but never middle school, and I only found out about the job late in the summer when I had about 2 weeks to prepare.)

And OP -- you're concerned because you're not a "dramatic, creative" type? Well, the teaching mentor who observes me as a first-year teacher has been telling me that I'm TOO creative, TOO patient, TOO much of a friend to my students and I lack the authority to make them listen. Most of them LOVE me, but NONE of them fear me. And it's true. It's February and I've just tuned out the constant schmoozing as "white noise" because I gave up after trying a zillion different methods to get them to be quiet. And my teacher mentor lady says I will burn myself out trying to outdo myself dramatically (and I CAN do dramatic) if my students just don't feel that proper classroom behavior is REQUIRED and my classroom management is "inconsistent".

I simply don't know how to be that strict teacher who commands authority. My role models are Ms. Frizzle and Bill Nye the Science Guy -- the ones who reached me at the very same age and made me fall in love with science, and you never saw them "controlling" their classes...

I tried observing more seasoned teachers in the school, but their methods of discipline are just invisible after a while. The students just know to show up on time, with their supplies, not complain so loudly when a quiz is announced that the principal can hear them down the hall, not allow me 3 minutes of uninterrupted teaching time before needing to use the bathroom...

I'm so curious to know if the principal sees me as a failure. Sad

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 1:17 am
Also, two amazing, must-read books for classroom management:

The Cornerstone for Teachers (by Angela Powell, now Watson) - this book has ideas for EVERYTHING, and so super practical! Author is a brilliant, brilliant teacher. Follow her blog too. Book includes tips on organization and planning aspects of management, not just behavior management. Geared towards younger grades but definitely a lot that's applicable to older grades too (besides the actual ideas of how to manage things like bathroom routines, those really vary depending on the age I think) I think of it as a bible for teachers, it includes almost anything you'll need to know all in one book. Awesome resource. Available cheaper as an e-book, but it's on the long side so you may not want to read it all on screen, though you could probably skip to one topic at a time.

Tools for Teaching (Fred Jones) - geared more towards older grades, definitely a relevant read for middle school teachers too. Focuses more on the behavior management but takes it on starting with actual teaching methods (I.e. how to set up your teaching to lend itself to better behavior in the first place) No sissy sticker charts here, this is real power teaching. It's a really easy, fun, quick read too. Buy it.

Bigsis144 I suggest you get these books too! Don't squash your drama and creativity, just put enough structures around them so everyone can function well and appreciate those qualities in you.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 8:46 am
Both my mom and I had this problem. In our world, you're just "let" into the classroom and you deal, or not.
My kids love me, but discipline... is my weakness

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 9:50 am
If you're having trouble with a class and have to do a lecture style class that day, let them know there'll be a pop quiz at the end of the class on the day's lecture.

Give them assignments where they have to work hard and present material to the class, rather than you doing it.

Make them work hard, and make behavior a part of their grade.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 16 2015, 11:47 am
1. Find a role model with the same qualities, and watch her teach.
2. Have someone observe you and tell them to let you know honestly if teaching is a good job for you.

I had the same thoughts as you. I thought I would never be good at teaching. My supervisor told me that even though my lesson was not so good, he sees that I can be a very good teacher and I have a right type of personality.
Are you confident around adults, do other people listen to you? If they do, then you really just need to gain some self esteem. When I started teaching, my motto was "Fake it till you make it".

Another point - it is always hard to teach in a random classroom and easier with kids that you know. It is like with your own kids, you need to build up a relationship and you are constantly weighing down if an immediate gain (through acting nasty and authoritative to students) will be a long-term loss (they will start hating you and "turn off").

g

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 11:45 pm
Seeker thanks for your suggestions on books. Real lifesavers and super practical. I was terrified of my new middle school job in a boys Yeshiva even tho I have taught for quite a while. B"h these books taught me some basics that I was lacking and I survived!!

amother
Purple

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 11:56 pm
I found it really helped me to be observed for a period of time by one experienced teacher who could articulate pedagogical techniques. I did it in the context of academic coursework; she set up a small camera to film my classes (focused on me ), and she and I discussed ny strengths and weaknesses after I watched it. I was able to change in ways that helped (pitch of my voice, movement around classroom, tone of voice, etc ) as well as learn actual new teaching techniques. I don't know much about education courses--could OP learn these skills in a summer course? Also, FYI --I channeled all of the hadricha techniques I had learned in my Zionist youth movement --many many of the skills are transferable.

DrMom

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 12:38 am
amother wrote:
op here.
It would be easiest to control elementary students; however, I am not the type to do projects and songs and fun activites. I would love to teach middle school but that is the toughest age. High school is easier to teach in regard to dealing with the students, since they will enjoy an intellectual/challenging class, yet I can't commit to the workload with grading/preparing on such a high level since it will be too much work for me.

so yes, my ideal is middle school. but they test me and make me feel like a nothing and destroy me

In my experience (as a student, not a teacher), middle school students are the worst.

Isn't classroom management part of your training as a teacher? If you get a degree in education, doesn't this include practical training such as managing classrooms full of kids?

I disagree that "either you have it or you don't." I think it can be learned, although it may not come easy to some.

Another idea: Could you become a private tutor? That way you won't have an entire class of kids to manage.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 10:32 am
I dont know if this will help but there are ways to control a classroom without being loud.
2 points.
1. I went to Bnos Chava Sem (many years ago) and Rabbi Yoel Kramer (Prospect Park) taught a teacher's training course there. There were tricks and tools that he taught that would help you alot. I wish I could tell you how to access one of his courses (I dont know if he is still doing it but he also used to do it through Torah Umesorah.) I would def research this.
2. I dont know how much wiggle room you have but I remember when I was in 9th grade we had a new young teacher teaching us typing of all things (on typewriters!!) The first week or so we made her life a living he..... seriously Im surprised she didnt cry. We did not stop talking and noone did any work.
I remember how she came into the room one morning and with quiet calmness made us all get up and line up in the hallway by last name alphabetically. Then she rearranged our seats and said this was our seat for the rest of the month. for some reason she just kept calm and quiet and we all noticed this change in her and responded accordingly. Let me tell you the next week it was a diff classroom. And thanks to her, I can actually type 70 WPM (without looking! LOL)
Hope you make it cuz it sounds like you really wanna teach. ...
Anon cuz I gave alot of identifying info....

ValleyMom

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 10:45 am
Classroom management is a not a skill- it is a talent/gift that needs to be nurtured over time. I will say this... and listen closely....

The best way to establish a classroom where true learning can take place is by making sure that EVERY SINGLE student in your classroom feels like a valuable member of the classroom society.

This means you need to reach out to every student at some point during your class- some need your contact significantly more than others.

I always spend the first six weeks getting to KNOW my students through a variety of activities- which also can be of academic nature. Once you have established the routines, and the children feel respected and valued the classroom will basically run on its own and there will be a vibrant hum of lively discussion, conversation and writing....

ima bima

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 10:51 am
Try to fake it. Seriously! Pretend that you OWN the classroom and are super confident in yourself and your ability to teach and control a class. IMO it's more about their perception of you than real life. If you can fake it you might surprise yourself and see that you can do it for real.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics