Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Why are frum people addicted to meat?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Ihatepotatoes

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 9:43 pm
I'm not obsessed with it. I eat it basically on shabbos/yom tov. why? because it's yummy! 'nuff said ** mic dropped**

morningsickness

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 2:59 am
I totally think this is an American thing. I get the Hebrew Mishpacha and read the Hebrew Yated t00- the only red meat recipes appear right before the chagim. The rest of the year most recipes call for chicken or ground turkey.

I know a well-respected "natuaral-type" family Dr. who practices in the frum community and advises frum women to up their protein content. Many families can't afford fleishigs more than 1-2 a week, and even then it's chicken, not red meat. I personally only eat red meat on Yamim Tovim, because of the cost.

I'm on a diet now that requires me to eat a lot of protein, and cheese and legumes just don't have enough. I'm trying to eat more chicken and turkey instead.

Little kids also need a lot of protein in order to grow and develop properly. My kids are served a fleishig lunch 3 times a week in daycare, while another day is soy shnitzel day and yet another day is tuna patties day. I can't see my little ones eating so many beans and legumes as to getting enough protein...

DrMom

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 3:54 am
morningsickness wrote:
I totally think this is an American thing. I get the Hebrew Mishpacha and read the Hebrew Yated t00- the only red meat recipes appear right before the chagim. The rest of the year most recipes call for chicken or ground turkey.

I know a well-respected "natuaral-type" family Dr. who practices in the frum community and advises frum women to up their protein content. Many families can't afford fleishigs more than 1-2 a week, and even then it's chicken, not red meat. I personally only eat red meat on Yamim Tovim, because of the cost.

I'm on a diet now that requires me to eat a lot of protein, and cheese and legumes just don't have enough. I'm trying to eat more chicken and turkey instead.

Little kids also need a lot of protein in order to grow and develop properly. My kids are served a fleishig lunch 3 times a week in daycare, while another day is soy shnitzel day and yet another day is tuna patties day. I can't see my little ones eating so many beans and legumes as to getting enough protein...

In my comments, I was lumping beef together with poultry. I find that in my American relatives' menus, meat of any kind is the main event, followed by starches, and then the vegetable portion is a total afterthought.

Most people in Western societies eat way more protein than is necessary, so cutting down on animal protein and substituting some plant protein for a meal here and there is highly unlikely to cause any protein deprivation.

cbg

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 4:57 am
Sugar and dairy are more addictive.

yo'ma

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 10:27 am
morningsickness wrote:
I totally think this is an American thing.

Um, people here, in Argentina, eat tons of meat.

ima bima

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 11:27 am
Current research suggests that the lipid diet which is carb/starch heavy is much more detrimental to health than a diet high in natural fat and protein (meat).

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 11:53 am
Raisin wrote:
I am kind of surprised at how many people "don't eat" beans, or tofu, or fish. I mean, sure, lots of people (including me) prefer steak to these things but prepared properly they can be delicious. And filling. I'm also weight conscious and yes, falafel and pita and all the extras is not a low calorie meal, (although it can be if you are careful) but there are many more things you can make then falafal which are low calorie.

I agree its definitely more time consuming to make vegetarian foods. Although there are some quick ones.

My husband and my son don't like fish. I cook it for myself occasionally but not really worth it since they won't eat it. I cannot eat beans due to digestion issues and my husband doesn't really enjoy them either. He won't touch anything with tofu in it and I can only have a small amount, again due to digestion issues.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 12:18 pm
There is a big difference between poultry and red meat health wise. There's a good deal of evidence that red meat is best only in moderation.

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 1:15 pm
ima bima wrote:
Current research suggests that the lipid diet which is carb/starch heavy is much more detrimental to health than a diet high in natural fat and protein (meat).

Not sure where you got your terminology from, as "lipid" literally means fat. I don't know why a carbohydrate-heavy diet would be called that?

allthingsblue

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 1:16 pm
cnc wrote:
This.

Red meat is not considered very healthy at all.
It's fine in moderation.

Lean red meat is healthy. It is a great source of iron.
As with everything though, moderation is key.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen