Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Candlelighting Times in Israel

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 9:14 am
I'm trying to get the coming year's Balabusta's Daily Organizer to press (see my tagline) and I need to get candlelighting times right. I include times for Yerushalayim and Beit Shemesh (and many cities chutz l'aretz). I thought Yerushalyim is shkia minus 40 minutes, and Beit Shemesh and everywhere else is shkia minus 18 minutes. Is that right?

Where in Israel do women light at shkia minus 40 minutes, and where is candlelighting shkia minus 18 minutes?

love2bake

Post Sat, May 21 2016, 2:57 pm
I live in Ramat Eshkol and light 40 minutes before shkiya.

Shaarei Revacha gives out a calendar of the times

Shuly

Post Sat, May 21 2016, 3:52 pm
Minhag Yerushalayim is to light 40 minutes before shkiah.

The minhag everywhere else is 18 minutes before shkiah, however some other communities in Israel took on minhag yerushalayim.

water_bear88

Post Sat, May 21 2016, 3:54 pm
Try Torah Tidbts (OU in Israel's parsha sheets)- I know they have a website and the print version has times for maybe 20 cities around the country. The editor is a calendar geek (no offense whatsoever meant; I consider myself to be one too, though not nearly as knowledgeable). If you can't otherwise find what you need, I'm sure he could help if you email him.

m in Israel

Post Sat, May 21 2016, 4:06 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I'm trying to get the coming year's Balabusta's Daily Organizer to press (see my tagline) and I need to get candlelighting times right. I include times for Yerushalayim and Beit Shemesh (and many cities chutz l'aretz). I thought Yerushalyim is shkia minus 40 minutes, and Beit Shemesh and everywhere else is shkia minus 18 minutes. Is that right?

Where in Israel do women light at shkia minus 40 minutes, and where is candlelighting shkia minus 18 minutes?

As someone previously said, technically the "40 minutes" is minhag Yerushalayim, but many of the places around Yerushalayim have also accepted those extra minutes -- and sometimes it is only communities within those cities. For example here in BS, the local "Shemeshphone" has a chart for candlelighting that lists 2 times for each week "hadlakas neiros 40 dakot" and "hadlakas neiros 20 dakot"? (I don't know the 20 vs. 18, but that is what it has). The "zemanim calendar" put out by one of the local ad bulletins ("maid lakol") lists licht bentching each week according to only the 40 minute zman. I'm 90% sure the siren is for the 40 minutes zman here, but I don't really hear it well in my apartment so I don't pay much attention. I think other cities and suburbs around Yerushalayim are similar. Bottom line - it definitely is widely accepted in many of these areas to "hold" by 40 minutes, but it is not as universal as in Yerushalayim.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, May 21 2016, 5:31 pm
I find this calculator very useful http://www.hebcal.com/shabbat/

I subtract 10 minutes from the time given, so that I'm never late to light.

Marion

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 8:16 am
Maale Adumim and Petach Tikva keep minhag Yerushalayim. The Gush Etzion communities do not.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 8:48 am
How about Bnei Brak?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note