Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Kippahs: you'd think they were disposable

bigsis144

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 9:03 am
So I bought 6 kippahs for my 3.5 year old before Pesach aaaand they're ALL missing.

DS's hair isn't long enough to have anything to clip the kippah to, though the kippot seem to be the right size for his head. He doesn't mind wearing a kippah most of the time, he just seems oblivious to it falling off.

I've labelled all the kippot with our last name, and B"H his teachers or mothers of friends he went to on playdates will return the kippot, but between losing kippahs in our house or at the park or walking to shul ("DS, where's your kippah?" "Oh, it blew off." "WHEN? WHERE? Please tell me next time right after it happens, kiddo!!!") or the grocery store... one time it blew right off his head into 6 lanes of traffic and that was the end of that kippah since that street would never be empty enough for me to look for it...

The absolute cheapest kippahs are $5-6 apiece, with nicer ones closer to $8-9. I can't afford to buy $30 of kippahs every month, HALP.

Any sources for (a) super cheap kippahs that don't look like "I got these from a basket outside the sanctuary of a synagogue I've never been to and it has the date of a bar mitzvah in 1987 stamped on the inside" or (b) tricks for getting a kippah to stay on, short of stapling it to the kid's head?

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 9:08 am
Chin strap?

Big chassidish ones that go ear to ear are better.
A short buzz cut can work like Velcro.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 9:09 am
During the week, at school, is he allowed to wear baseball caps

Sadie

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 9:11 am
When my husband's hair is too short for a bobbypin he keeps it on with double sided tape.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 9:17 am
Would you consider a Bucharian kippa?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/I....._.jpg

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 9:40 am
Sorry to say, the suede kippahs that are given out at weddings and bar mitzvahs are the way to go. Pretty cheap in bulk. Even better, you can scoop up a few here and there when you go to simchas.

piegirl

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 9:41 am
I have bought maybe 30 kippas in the past year and a half for my 4.5 year old... Somehow they are always missing. My husband gets 1 a year. It makes no sense.

cityofgold

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 12:32 pm
Oh, I know what you mean!

I write our phone number in ours. I only buy plain ones for school. I can get them cheaper than that, though (15 shekel).

It was really bad for a while, but eventually they started staying on better. I also find that they stay on better when his hair is shorter, because they fit better.

greenhelm

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 1:35 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Would you consider a Bucharian kippa?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/I....._.jpg

I second this idea. They don't appeal to me on an aesthetic level but they do stay on quite well.

cm

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 1:42 pm
The Bukharian kippot are popular in our family for young children. They do seem to stay on better.

Maya

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 2:18 pm
We use the Israeli style crochet ones that are like small beanies.

mommyla

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 5:35 pm
I sew shaitel clips into them and clip them on!

amother
Rose

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 5:45 pm
The rough side of Velcro?

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 7:23 am
Velcro seems to work,you stick on a strip of velcro inside and presto it sticks to your sons head. ALso, I found that the when I went up a size too big we stopped losing them as much.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers