Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Kids broke a toy... pay or not?

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 9:41 am
We had guests and their two kids (under 5) were playing with a muktsah toy that the oldest one climbed to reach (it was out of reach as it is delicate). Obviously no one could take it from them on shabbos, and the parents asked them to put it down but they didn't listen. It got broken and is now not usable. The mother offered to pay for a replacement toy (it's about $20). I don't know if I should accept her offer or not - it's not like it's her fault it got broken. We won't replace it ourselves though as don't have the money to spare. But they probably also don't have the money to spare.

nnmom

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 9:51 am
If a child broke a toy in my home I'd never expect the parents to replace it, but I would expect the offer.
Disclaimer- we have tons of toys!

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 9:55 am
amother wrote:
We had guests and their two kids (under 5) were playing with a muktsah toy that the oldest one climbed to reach (it was out of reach as it is delicate). Obviously no one could take it from them on shabbos, and the parents asked them to put it down but they didn't listen. It got broken and is now not usable. The mother offered to pay for a replacement toy (it's about $20). I don't know if I should accept her offer or not - it's not like it's her fault it got broken. We won't replace it ourselves though as don't have the money to spare. But they probably also don't have the money to spare.

Did she offer willingly? If you had the money would you replace it? If she offers, (she might seriously want to replace, I know people like that) accept and tell her you appreciated but it was unnecessary. Or tell her to ask the shaila... I was told that while they should replace it (older kid who should have known and mom didn't even pretend to watch her kid) they can't afford it. The Rav knew both families and while we couldn't afford the cost which was way more than $20 they had nothing.

I would have liked an apology though... But this kid was much older than 5.

cm

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 10:09 am
It's polite to express remorse and to offer reimbursement, and it's polite to decline graciously, especially if you know or assume the other family cannot afford it.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 10:52 am
I would not accept the offer. But we have alot of toys..bH
AS an aside, you are allowed to touch a muktzah toy as long as by your touching it, it doesn't start making noise or lighting up..this is from the book "children in halacha"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette