Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Shabbat in Verona

etky

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 2:58 am
A friend mentioned this morning that she and her brother will be in Verona next Shabbat.
She was given the number of someone to contact to order kosher meals, near the shul.
Does anyone have more info about how this works, about the meals themselves + the hashgacha and about the shul? Is it an orthodox shul?
TIA

pesek zman

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 7:03 am
etky wrote:
A friend mentioned this morning that she and her brother will be in Verona next Shabbat.
She was given the number of someone to contact to order kosher meals, near the shul.
Does anyone have more info about how this works, about the meals themselves + the hashgacha and about the shul? Is it an orthodox shul?
TIA

Where is Verona?

etky

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 7:21 am
pesek zman wrote:
Where is Verona?

Northern Italy, near Padua and not far from Venice.
Otherwise known as "Fair Verona", of Romeo and Juliette fame.

doctorima

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 9:49 am
Interesting. When I once looked into Orthodox communities in Italy, I didn't see anything about Verona. It could have changed, or I could have missed it, but definitely don't just assume and take for granted that it's orthodox and kosher without clear verification.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 9:55 am
I thought you meant Verona, NJ. embarrassed
I was going to advise you to seek out the shuls in neighboring West Orange.

etky

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 12:25 pm
doctorima wrote:
Interesting. When I once looked into Orthodox communities in Italy, I didn't see anything about Verona. It could have changed, or I could have missed it, but definitely don't just assume and take for granted that it's orthodox and kosher without clear verification.

Verona is indeed a bit off the beaten track, Jewishly speaking.
So it is very possible that whatever shul they have there may be Orthodox nominally but in practice it might be otherwise.
That's why I wanted more info. from someone familiar with the community and the kashrut standards there.
It's a shame they can't be in Venice over Shabbat but the group they are going with will be in Verona.
Anyone??

WastingTime

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 12:30 pm
amother wrote:
I thought you meant Verona, NJ. embarrassed
I was going to advise you to seek out the shuls in neighboring West Orange.

LOL, me too, was wondering what the attraction was. But that makes sense if you are from WO like I am!

chagru

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 12:34 pm
As far as I know there is a kosher hotel there. There was last year, maybe it's no longer operating

etky

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 12:47 pm
chagru wrote:
As far as I know there is a kosher hotel there. There was last year, maybe it's no longer operating

Yes, thx - I see (Google...) there's a kosher hotel on the banks of Lake Garda, about 30 minutes drive from Verona.
I'll tell them to contact the hotel about ordering Shabbat food. Of course they'll have to be able to get there and they will be on an organized tour so it may not be possible. But maybe the hotel will deliver to central Verona.
Thx! It's worth a try...

syeft

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 4:35 pm
The rabbi there is Chabad, it's a young couple who moves there last year as far as I remember, you can find their number on Google, they'll be happy to help!

etky

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 12:56 am
syeft wrote:
The rabbi there is Chabad, it's a young couple who moves there last year as far as I remember, you can find their number on Google, they'll be happy to help!

Thanks, I will pass on the info.
You are talking about Verona Italy, right? (I learned from this thread that there is also a Verona in NJ).

syeft

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 7:52 am
yes, don't worry! Wink

etky

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 8:13 am
syeft wrote:
yes, don't worry! Wink

Thx!! Very Happy
My friend will be happy to hear this. I think she was given his number already and didn't know if he was an orthodox rabbi What

imasoftov

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 1:54 pm
etky wrote:
Northern Italy, near Padua and not far from Venice.
Otherwise known as "Fair Verona", of Romeo and Juliette fame.

Parts of The Two Gentlemen of Verona and The Taming of the Shrew also take place there.

etky

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:47 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Parts of The Two Gentlemen of Verona and The Taming of the Shrew also take place there.

Ah, but who still has a balcony there? (As if...).
Not much else to see there IIRC.
Nice, pretty town and lots of very fashionable stores but not nearly as distinctive as some of the other cities.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics