Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Potty training for an autistic kid

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 9:10 pm
My child is four years old and not trained. He is totally not interested in getting trained. In general he is stubborn and defiant. Do any of you have any tried and true suggestions on how to train a kid on the spectrum? I know physically he can do it . He is just a real challenge to have him do anything new and differant. Pointing out that other kids go to the toliet is not motivating him at all.

animeme

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 9:21 pm
Get his behaviorist and school involved. Also, look online to see if there's any underwear with his favorite characters. That was a big motivating factor for us. Fyi, we trained at four.

A schedule is important too. Make it predictable- we go and sit at this time and that time, even if we don't have to go. We get a small reward for sitting, we move on. Put it in a picture schedule for him. That way, he is prepared, and there's less stopping things in the middle, which can be hard. Also, have interesting books in the bathroom to keep him there.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 12:34 am
We used a reward system with DS, when he was almost 4 and not yet trained.
At the time he was obsessed with Pokemon cards.
Every time he would use the toilet he got another card.
B"h it worked though it literally took years until he stopped having accidents.
Pretty much all through elementary school.

sped

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 4:02 am
Is your son in a special program? Ask them to include it in their goals and to guide you to work along with them. Expect it to take some time.

little_mage

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 6:34 am
I don't have any real advice, but my mild ASD son is only in the last month actually training, at 4.5. With us, sadly, we just had to wait for something to click in his brain, because he was willing to sit on the potty, but couldn't seem to have any control. One night, all of sudden he was able to start on command, and since then he's been able to urinate (although admittedly not poop) in the toilet consistently. It doesn't sound like that's your situtation, but I just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one with an untrained four year old out there.

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 6:37 am
Yes to all above.

My DS wouldn't use a small potty or the toilet. Turned out the sensation of sitting made him anxious and uncomfortable. Finally, I laddered the process. Each step took a number of days. First, I rewarded him just for sitting with me behind him, everyone fully clothed, on the toilet (I have a wide skirt). Then, when he was comfortable with that, we practiced together on the open seat. Then, sitting by himself, still clothed. Then, sitting unclothed.

At that point, I asked the BCBA for help. At her suggestion, we rewarded for sitting -- he had a special toy that I bought specifically for him onlyto play with while sitting there. And we rewarded any time he produced.

My grown DD is a BCBA who has trained many children. It is not an unusual thing to need help with.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 11:24 am
Thanks for all the advise. He is very interested in numbers and the clock so I think giving him a time to sit on the toilet will make it less tramatic. I half heartedly tried to train him around Thanks giving time. I just wanted to see if he could physically do it. He sat and loved the treats and attention he got and was even sucessful a couple of times but then he was done and refused to do it again. He got very upset every time he got wet. He would go into a full blown tantrum which lasted for a while. I wasn't that invested so I stopped training and though I'd give it a little more time so he could mature a drop more. I however don't see any improvement and any time I suggest the toilet he cries and says all done. He might just be the kind of kid that I have to force and make it into a routine so he gets used to it. I have always trained my kids with nothing but a long tea shirt. The first couple of days they sit a lot on the toilet and get tons of yummy drinks so that they will need to go and see that they can be successful. After that I have a pattern and have them go sit briefly every hour and if they are successful a half hour after their success. This has always worked for me. I'm just wondering if putting on underwear and setting a schedule has worked for any of you. How do you train in a practical way? do you make your asl kid sit for a long time on the toliet? Any details you can provide might help me figure out what will work with this kind of kid. Thanks

amother
Beige

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:58 pm
Sounds like my son. I set a timer on the clock and when it would ding we would go to the bathroom. Honestly the only thing that worked for him wAs Going on the potty. People think potty is gross and it is but that is what worked. The potty went in every room of the house. Living room dining room, u name it. It worked. Hatzlacha. I promise he will do it eventually. Don't go by anyone else's timeline. Our kids are special and need to be treated individually. Ur doing a great job!

Last edited by amother on Mon, May 23 2016, 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Beige

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:58 pm
Sounds like my son. I set a timer on the clock and when it would ding we would go to the bathroom. Honestly the only thing that worked for him wAs doing that on the potty. People think potty is gross and it is but that is what worked. The potty went in every room of the house. Living room dining room, u name it. It worked. Halacha. I promise he will do it eventually. Don't go by anyone else's timeline. Our kids are special and need to be treated individually. Ur doing a great job!

cuties' mom

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 4:16 pm
My asd 7-year-old is only trained for #1, not #2. He was trained at 4. The way I did it was by putting the potty in front of the computer and telling him he could watch Barney whenever he was on the potty. It didn't take him long to get Barney trained (I normally don't put on videos for my kids so this was a special treat for him- unlimited Barney). The trickier part was getting him to use the bathroom without Barney. That was done with Barney stickers. I'm not even working on number 2 yet. Ds likes to play with it so I prefer that he keeps it in a diaper until I change him. I don't need him diving into the toilet to get it out.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 4:31 pm
Please contact Samantha Allen at NYC Potty Training. I believe she can work remotely. She is an ABA expert, has worked for years in special Ed, and now has a potty training service. If you google her you will get her website and contact info. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)