Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
PT for 9 yr old

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 11:53 am
My son does not walk or run properly. He was getting OT but his OT said he really doesn't need it anymore. I had him evaluated for PT and was told he is extremely flexible just lazy but thankfully nothing medically wrong with him to need PT. I feel stuck. I would pay out of pocket if I think it is beneficial for him no question. Where should I go from here? Once I am paying out of pocket I really do want the best. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:10 pm
My daughter has hyperflexibility and so do I. I really regret that mine was not addressed when I was young. In our case, it's caused by an underlying genetic disorder, but the principals are the same.

First of all, you should get your son's hips x-rayed - if the angle of the hip joint is slightly off, it is not noticeable upon physical examination, and could cause walking/running problems. It is critical to get this checked first, because the results impact what treatments your son shoudl get to help his walking. An orthopedist can help with this. In my family, some of us have this, and some don't. It is important to check this, as it can cause more serious hip problems down the line (I was told I might need hip replacement by age 40 and it should have been checked and treated sooner). Even if it's not his hips, it's very important to get checked by an orthopedist, to see if there are any structural problems in feet, legs, or hips which are causing the problem.

As for the hyperflexibility - this can absolutely be helped! I saw I don't know how many orthopedists and PTs before I found one who could help. Strengthening exercises that can be taught by a PT make a big difference in muscle tone and joint strength (don't try to figure them out yourself, as certain types of strengthening exercise can actually make it worse). They can also help prevent long-term joint pain and problems. If I had gotten PT when I was young, I would have a lot less problems now. It's really helped my daughter so far too. But, it's really important to check his hips/legs/feet checked, because these kinds of exercises won't help structural problems in the bones or joints.

Good luck!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:52 pm
Thank u so much u really gave me such helpful tips and advice. I will def discuss the hip issue with my pediatrician. Can I ask u which PT u found to be successful? I am in the New York are btw. Thank u so much

naomi2

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 3:05 pm
good for you trusting your instincts and asking a second opinion.
lazy? really? I know lots of lazy people and it doesnt affect their gait...
pediatric orthopedist would be great. try dr david? scher in manhattan

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 3:35 pm
Thank u! I will def look into a pediatric orthopedist... Again will ask my doc for a suggestion. This is so helpful... I really did not feel reassured when I left the eval so I'm happy to hear u all don't think I'm crazy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children