Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What age milk and meat

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:51 pm
What age do you start waiting between milk and meat? I have a very precocious 5 year old who knows just about everything about everything. He didn't eat his chicken tonight, so I offered pizza, which he freaked out about, giving me a speech that it's halacha to wait between meat and milk and what am I thinking?! I have never been careful with him about this before because he seems young...? Mostly, I think it is annoying to keep this with little kids that aren't reliable eaters [one day he'll eat chicken fine, the next he claims he doesn't like it anymore]

bookie

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 3:01 pm
I was told that starting age three they should wait a little bit. Age four and five they wait an hour or two. By age six they wait the full six hours. We are just plain frum if that makes a difference.

mha3484

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 3:14 pm
I start out meal to meal when they are really young. This doesn't apply as much during the week as my kids go to bed shortly after dinner but shabbos is a good example. My 18 month old will eat a meat lunch have a cup of water and then take a nap. When he wakes up he might have something pareve like a fruit or veg or something mllchig etc. I would not give him a cup of milk with the meal or minutes after. My thought is that they should get the habit of some sort of break even if its just how long they take to nap.

As they get older I usually have them wait corresponding to their age and maturity. My 5 year old now waits the full six hours. We keep lots of choices for snacks and drinks so no one feels deprived. I don't want to create habits just do have to undo them at a later time.

sky

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 4:22 pm
At 3 start waiting an hour.
Add an hour every year.
3 - 1 hour
4 - 2 hour
5 - 3 hour
6 - 4 hour
7 - 5 hour
We only wait 5 1/2 hours. We stay at the 5 hours until about 10.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 5:26 pm
My husband asked a chassidish rav about my then 2 1/2 year old. He was told that if the child helps themselves to the milk or cheese from the fridge you don't have to take it away but we were not allowed to give milk after meat for a full hour. Meat after milk I just wait five minutes and have child rinse out their mouth.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 5:45 pm
wow I feel like such a shiksa! Scratching Head
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics