Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Pregnancy test on Shabbat?

amother
Violet

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 8:41 am
Question - is it actually mukzah to take an at home pregnancy test on Shabbat? My period would be due tomorrow - Shabbat. I took a pregnancy test this morning and it had a very super faint positive pregnancy line on test. I would really like to take another test tomorrow - Shabbat to confirm if line gets darker. I've been having a lot of painful health issues since I thought I was possibly pregnant the last few days and I've been avoiding all medication because of the possibility of being pregnant.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 8:45 am
There is an issue of measuring.
Since this is measuring your HcG levels , chances are it is forbidden but ask your Rav.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 8:52 am
If you are told that you can't, assume you are pregnant. My doctor told me that any line is a line, no matter how faint, as long as it is within the timeframe.
Bshaa Tova!

Iymnok

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 9:09 am
It would not be muktza, rather tzovea.
It's not pika have nefesh, so unless a rav says differently, don't do it.

jerusalem90

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 9:11 am
Ask, but if he says no you can test again right before Shabbat, just try to save your pee so it will be as concentrated as possible.

lfab

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 9:29 am
I understand wanting to know ASAP, but either ask a rav or just wait an extra day and test Sunday morning.

imasoftov

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 11:51 am
Iymnok wrote:
It would not be muktza, rather tzovea.

Very much so. I want to find out who teaches people to say "muktza" rather than "melacha" and make them stop.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 12:03 pm
I was having similar issues over pesach and took the test the second yomtov was over. The results were accurate and my children were asleep so no worrying about someone walking in on me.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 6:33 am
Pee into a jar, cover it and set it aside, and test after Shabbat. No law as far as I know against collecting pee on Shabbat. I don't think you need fresh pee to test. In the olden days, pee would go to the labs and that could take a whole day.

The Happy Wife

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 8:14 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Pee into a jar, cover it and set it aside, and test after Shabbat. No law as far as I know against collecting pee on Shabbat. I don't think you need fresh pee to test. In the olden days, pee would go to the labs and that could take a whole day.

I don't think you can prepare something for after Shabbos like that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions