Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Info on Highland Park?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 9:00 am
My Dh and I are considering moving to NJ, and heard Highland park is a great place, but am hoping to find some more info out. Types of schools, community, people, Shuls? Any info is appreciated!

amother
Rose

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 3:51 pm
I was hoping someone who lives in the Highland Park/Edison community would reply, but I will do my best. I live in a nearby community in NJ and have many friends in HP, have used the schools, etc.

There is a huge mix of types in the community. It is one of the most Jewishly diverse places I know, and there is a shul for everyone (MO, Agudah, Sephardic, Chassidic...). The community is also economically diverse, with housing ranging from apartments to mansions. Houses in HP tend to be older than in Edison (the community straddles the municipal border) and the taxes may be higher. Of course, taxes are super-high everywhere in NJ!

Local schools include RPRY (mainstream MO, mixed) and Shaarei Tzion (separate schools for boys and girls). Other nearby elementary school choices include Netivot (Montessori, in East Brunswick) and Shalom Torah Academy (Lakewood outreach but students come from all backgrounds, two locations in East Windsor and Morganville). There is a BY high school in Edison, and there are a bunch of other high schools and elementary schools within reasonable commuting distance.

Hellothere

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 4:00 pm
The shalom Torah centers schools would be a farther commute than the schools Rose listed in the middle paragraph of her post. Also the STC in East Windsor closed down. imo the schools near highland park are much better than STC.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 6:41 pm
Thank you! This is all positive and helpful info. I guess I would need to call up schools next. We are Sephardic, and it seems like there aren't any Sephardic schools, so that's a big reason we haven't made the move yet. Also wondering, my fear of the suburbs are having to take a car to go anywhere and everywhere. Are parks or kid friendly places easily accessible?

amother
Rose

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 7:21 pm
Obviously I'm a little behind the times, but historically Sephardi families were more likely to send to Shaarei Tzion than RPRY. No idea if this is still the case.

One idea would be to contact Congregation Etz Ahaim and have a chat with Rabbi Bassous about the Sephardic community in Highland Park, and find out where most people are sending their children.

Another idea would be to contact Ben Porat Yosef in Bergen County and find out where their families live. IMO it is a little far for young children to commute from central NJ, but some might do it, or you might choose to live farther north if sending to a Sephardic school is a high priority.

You can manage in HP without a car if you live near the center of town. When you come visit, you will see a small town with a real downtown, but some neighborhoods are a little farther away. Groceries, parks, pizza and ice cream are all walkable and kids often walk to each others' homes. However, it is certainly easier to manage in the suburbs with a car.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 10:22 pm
Would you happen to know if there is a Jewish Craigslist for that area? In terms of finding rentals. Thanks Smile

doctorima

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 11:01 pm
You could try luach.com, or perhaps there's a Facebook group or Yahoo mailing list.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 9:20 am
https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/...../info
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating