Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
NO ONE is giving you free stuff on Facebook! Gullible

EnnuiGalore

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 9:51 am
Every second another friend is posting some spam about getting a $200 coupon to Walmart, a free flight, etc. THESE ARE NEVER REAL. Stop falling for it!

gp2.0

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 11:36 am
Well. Some people do run promotions on FB. New businesses who want to promote their name run contests and they do actually give the winners a free hairstyle/headband/pacifier/whatever they're selling.

Generally speaking, if you got an offer or news alert forwarded from friend to friend to friend and you can't trace it back to a legitimate company it's a scam.

Also PSA: I recently got one of those typical spam emails to change my password and login information. For PayPal. I was curious to see how good the scam was so I clicked through. It was very good, they copied the page and URL and everything. But when I opened the actual PayPal site the differences in the URL and page were obvious.

TLDR: never click a link if you're not 100% sure where it's from. Google the site/find the original Facebook page yourself and go from there.

AlwaysThinking

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 12:05 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Well. Some people do run promotions on FB. New businesses who want to promote their name run contests and they do actually give the winners a free hairstyle/headband/pacifier/whatever they're selling.

Generally speaking, if you got an offer or news alert forwarded from friend to friend to friend and you can't trace it back to a legitimate company it's a scam.

Also PSA: I recently got one of those typical spam emails to change my password and login information. For PayPal. I was curious to see how good the scam was so I clicked through. It was very good, they copied the page and URL and everything. But when I opened the actual PayPal site the differences in the URL and page were obvious.

TLDR: never click a link if you're not 100% sure where it's from. Google the site/find the original Facebook page yourself and go from there.

But why would you click it!? Isn't that a great way to get viruses?

Anyway the amount of times I've wanted to post 'scam' or 'SNOPES!' on things posted on facebook... at least 10x a day...

gp2.0

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 12:47 pm
Riff wrote:
But why would you click it!? Isn't that a great way to get viruses?

Anyway the amount of times I've wanted to post 'scam' or 'SNOPES!' on things posted on facebook... at least 10x a day...

Well...as the years go by and I've gotten better at the Internet I can tell what kind of link not to touch and what kind is a setup for a more elaborate scheme. It's pretty rare for a virus to enter your computer just by clicking a link. Generally speaking, a virus needs to be downloaded before it can do any damage and an operating system that's up to date should always ask you if you're sure you want to download and sometimes warn you that the source looks suspicious.

Also I'm less paranoid about viruses now since the apple OS is much better at preventing viruses than any other OS.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics