Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Selling on ebay

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 3:08 pm
does anyone have experience selling on ebay? I want to start doing this since I like looking for good deals on things and I am home with 2 kids. I want to know what type of things sell best.
thanks

gande

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 4:00 pm
It's not that simple. You have to get the item for less than half that you are planning to sell it for, for it to pay. Discontinued or rare toys can be profitable but there is a lot of investing and risks involved.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 4:21 pm
I sell on ebay. It's not as simple as it looks. In order to make money you need to have a real plan and know what's involved. I suggest you watch you tube videos on the subject to see what it takes and if it's for you.

cc

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 4:58 pm
Before selling on eBay I suggest buying on eBay for a few weeks first so you see what attracts customers.
Anything will eventually sell if you have a good price and have lots of details. Making real money depends how much you paid to begin with and how long it takes you to upload items and ship.

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 7:30 pm
I can only echo what others have written. Running an EBAY business that makes money is very difficult. In my opinion, the most difficult part is finding a product that people will buy because you must have both an appealing product and a price point that beats the competitors and also yields sufficient profit to make it worthwhile.

Other technical aspects of the site are hard but doable - I.e. listing properly, packaging and shipping. But the critical component is product.

As to what kinds of things sell best - again, it's unlikely that you would find a product at a low enough price to actually make money on it.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 12:25 pm
bumping this instead of starting a new thread.

I have some items at home that are sitting here and we are not using.

Do you think it would be worth my while to open an ebay sellars account?

In essence, I wouldn't be loosing money since these items are here and we are not using them. (example - a new car seat in the box..)

On the other hand, people wrote that it's complicated to list items and hard to make anything so please let me know if you think it is even worth my time to start with this. (I have no prior experience selling on ebay)

Amarante

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 12:29 pm
If you have items at home so their is no investment, EBAY is great.

With a bulky item like a car seat,Chou would probably do just as well on Craigslist.

Realistically, how much will you get for other items. It may my be worth it for a few dollars or so.

Also, it's extremely difficult to sell on EBAY if you don't have ratings as people don't want to buy from an unknown seller.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 12:38 pm
Thanks!

Since my items are already boxed I'm not so worried about shipping them.

Do you think I should set up a bid or just set a price to buy now?

I know I'll be the "new seller", but you have to start somewhere - no?

Amarante

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 12:48 pm
Actually most people do some buying first so that they get some ratings before they sell.

I recommend craigslist for the car seat because shipping would be expensive and people will figure the price with shipping when they bid.

In terms of setting a price, you can set a minimum whichr impacts listing fees. You need to decide what amount makes sense to sell it for because you might at best get one bid unless it's a super coveted item.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 1:05 pm
Amarante wrote:
Actually most people do some buying first so that they get some ratings before they sell.

I recommend craigslist for the car seat because shipping would be expensive and people will figure the price with shipping when they bid.

In terms of setting a price, you can set a minimum whichr impacts listing fees. You need to decide what amount makes sense to sell it for because you might at best get one bid unless it's a super coveted item.

I hardly ever bought from ebay. I just checked my history and it says that I was a member since 2006 and have 2 positive comments from sellers. It also states that in order for others to see my ratings there has to be at least 10 feedbacks. Interesting ...I never thought about that.

One item that I want to sell, I bought in 2012. Nothing wrong with it. Just never got around to returning. I googled and although this item is not available (discontinued) it is worth around $60 and I bought it for $37.00. It is an electronic item. Since you seem to know how this works, do you think I stand a chance in selling this?

sleepybeauty

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 2:22 pm
It's always worth listing, the worst thing that can happen is it won't be sold. Ebay only charges you a fee if your item sells.

Since you are not an experienced seller and don't know whether your items will sell, I would suggest making the starting bid something you would be okay with selling it for in case you only get one bid. Don't be worried if you don't get bids for a few days, people often wait until the end of an auction to start bidding.
Good luck!

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 9:12 pm
amazon and ebay are different from each other--- but if you're interested in FBA at Amazon, http://thesellingfamily.com has great classes and is a good resource.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 9:22 pm
The best way to make money on ebay is to get rid of old junk youre not using. even broken dvd players and broken laptops make some money. ONe of my dreams to do down the line once my kids are older is to be a Trading Assistant: sell other people's stuff on ebay for commission. Another idea is to get paid $$$ to list a business's stuff on ebay for them. I did it for a few years and it was great easy money. I just don't have any extra time now.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jul 13 2016, 10:15 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
The best way to make money on ebay is to get rid of old junk youre not using. even broken dvd players and broken laptops make some money. ONe of my dreams to do down the line once my kids are older is to be a Trading Assistant: sell other people's stuff on ebay for commission. Another idea is to get paid $$$ to list a business's stuff on ebay for them. I did it for a few years and it was great easy money. I just don't have any extra time now.

Mama Bear, how do you go about getting paid to list stuff for a business? I have lots of experience selling on eBay as I have sold lots of items I had around my house that we were no longer using. I would love to make some money selling for a business-as a sahm in desperate need of some extra cash this seems like it would be the perfect solution for me. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jul 14 2016, 12:19 am
Mama Bear wrote:

just read this now.. do u mind saying how much did u make listing products?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers