Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Kosher things to do at work?

amother
Wine

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 2:14 pm
I have a job that's usually bustling and I'm rushing to meet my deadlines, but I'm in a lull, and I'm SOO bored. I have my own office and computer, but I feel guilty being unproductive while waiting for the phone to ring. What are some things that I can do at work during "down time" that won't look bad, yet still be available for when things get busy again?

Oh, and I already organized my files.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 2:22 pm
come one imamother Wink LOL

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 2:35 pm
Coloring

Online Classes - you can pay to take 1 or 2 hour classes with some tips and skills in different areas.

shooting star

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 3:15 pm
Study Torah?

Amarante

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 3:19 pm
How's your typing. I did a class and got my speed up t over a hundred minutes.

You can download the Kindle app and read on the computerr. I've got ebooks that I would be happy to "lend" you

amother
Wine

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 3:24 pm
amother wrote:
come one imamother Wink LOL

I only did it today b/c was out of ideas.

My office is my own, but there's a storage cabinet that some people need to access and since I keep my door open--otherwise I feel kind of lonely--they come in spontaneously.

doctorima

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 3:26 pm
Say Tehillim, listen to a shiur (Torah Anytime or other similar sites)

bluebird

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 4:51 pm
Is there anything that you can do to prepare for the next busy time? I like to use lulls to go back to a list of "someday" projects that I keep at work and see if there are any that I can do in the time I have.

rachel6543

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 6:09 pm
I recommend the idea of online training. There are lots of free online college classes & tutorials available online. Use the time to brush and improve up your skills.

justcallmeima

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 8:57 pm
If you spend your down time learning a skill or acquiring knowledge that is relevant to your job currently or will be in the future, that is a legitimate use of your employer's time. For example, if your company has a large Spanish speaking customer base, or they would like to increase their Spanish speaking clientele, doing an online Spanish course would be quite appropriate during down time.

rachel6543

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 10:00 pm
Another idea - documenting how to do things at work. Writing up work instructions and training materials. Obviously depends if this actually needed at work.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 10:12 pm
I had the same situation as you, where I was super busy most of the time yet faced some slow days where I barely had anything to do.

Here's what I do when that happens:

1- Attend webinars related to my field and brush up on everything new happening in my field. This keeps me up to date and is very useful when things get busy again.

2- I learned different coding languages during sporadic dead hours. I'm not a programmer or developer, but knowing how to code in today's world, as well as honing the logical skills needed for coding, is definitely a plus.

3- I answer thoughtful questions on Quora related to my field. Never underestimate the power of social media; my answers have turned me into somewhat of a thought leader in my field and I know of other professionals who have also enhanced their professional image while sharing advice, analysis and thoughts on Quora.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 9:00 am
justcallmeima wrote:
If you spend your down time learning a skill or acquiring knowledge that is relevant to your job currently or will be in the future, that is a legitimate use of your employer's time. For example, if your company has a large Spanish speaking customer base, or they would like to increase their Spanish speaking clientele, doing an online Spanish course would be quite appropriate during down time.

OP here such as? Can you suggest a website?

tovasara

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 9:15 am
Brush up on all the microsoft office products such as word, excel, powerpoint.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics