Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Lag B'omer confusion

amother
Plum

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 10:14 am
A close relative is making a bar mitzvah tonight, lag b'omer, and the dinner is called for 6pm. When I inquired why it's so early I was told b/c it has to end before tzeis to have live music. I thought the reason for the date of this bar mitzvah was so that it could be at a time of live music b/c this family deals with a lot of sefardim who would hold of "lad" b'omer instead of "lag" b'omer. I asked but can't you have weddings on/after lag b'omer and I was told b/c live music is only for weddings and not bar mitzvahs. This was the p'sak of a well-known posek, but still don't get it.

I'm so confused about this arrangement can someone explain it to me? It was only a few years ago, that I learned that litvish ashkenazim don't listen to music the night of lag b'omer--but during the day of lag b'omer.

Growing up my family had some unusual minhagim regarding sefira so I never got a clear understanding of the minhagim--and my father passed away when I was young so I can't ask him. DH is a b"t so he only knows the minhagim from his rebbeim.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions