Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Would you donate a kidney to a stranger?
Previous  1  2

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 10:27 pm
In theory I would, but dd only has one kidney so I would want to "save it" if Chas vshalom she would need it.
However, hypothetically if I would know of someone who needed it, and for some reason I would know only I was a match, I would donate to a stranger.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 10:36 pm
amother wrote:
In theory I would, but dd only has one kidney so I would want to "save it" if Chas vshalom she would need it.

Generally, kidney disease attacks both kidneys, so someone with one kidney is at no greater risk of kidney disease than someone with two. That's why people can donate.

I work for Renewal and collect stories from donors. I am awed every time I talk to one - they're all so down-to-earth and normal and you just can't fathom how unassuming they all are. Kol hakavod to you who have done it or plan on it!

amother
Peach

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 1:18 am
My DH donated his kidney 7 years ago. I can't imagine doing it now during my child bearing years maybe later...

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 2:57 am
If one is not allowed to donate bone marrow (autoimmune disease"... I tried and was turned away.) can they donate a kidney?

How does it impact pregnancy? Should women who are planning to have more kids donate?

amother
Coral

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 4:10 am
I don't know if I would donate to a stranger.

I've already informed my family that if circumstances permit I would like to be a halachic organ donor, but that would be after death when I would no longer need my organs.

I've had 2 c-sections and if and when I have more children I would likely need to deliver by c-section again. I'm leery of having additional abdominal surgery if it's not medically necessary.

I would donate to family in a heartbeat though.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 5:58 am
To the poster who asked about donating with an autoimmune disease, I am pretty sure you would not be allowed Sad. They do tissue typing as part of the matching process. I actually submitted my Gift of Life results as the preliminary test to see if I mached my potential recipient. That was the results of my cheek swab test that I had taken to become a possible bone marrow donor. They are looking for healthy people who won't be harmed by donation but also who won't cause the recipient any issues. But you are so thoughtful that you'd consider it. You can double check this by speaking to Pat McDonough at Montefiore Medical Transplant Center in Bronx ,NY.

As far as having more children, that is allowed and possible! There is a recommended 6 month wait before becoming pregnant, post surgery. The remaining kidney grows in size and compensates for the lack of the other kidney. I would assume an OB would monitor a donor's blood pressure.

Stars

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 8:11 am
bfg wrote:
I donated to my husband. Amazing, miraculous. But, I don't think I would have gone through the process for a complete stranger.

Wow that's amazing how the two of you were a match.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 8:20 am
Just to clarify about the likelihood of being a match for someone: If you are both the same blood type and the recipient has never received a transfusion or transplant before (which would cause antibodies to be present), it's not so hard to find a match.

If antibodies are present, the match finding process is more complex. There are 6 antigens looked at in the tissue typing. Doctors will allow donation even if one of the 6 antigens matches, provided you are the same blood type and in good health.

I also heard that in Israel they will allow donation from someone who is not the same blood type as the recipient, although the amount of time the kidney will function, is less. I think the donations process there is more complex and the pool of donors is smaller so perhaps they are "compromising" on the ideal donation.

My recipient lives in Israel and was told his brother could donate to him even though they were not the same blood type. My recipient didn't feel it was fair to his brother, as the kidney would not last him the same length of time as if they were the same blood type. He said because he wont get enough time with his brother's kidney, he wasn't going to accept it.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 11:43 am
I hope to donate once I am beyond childbearing years. I feel a little mean saying this but I don't know if I would do it for a non-Jew. I am not particular that it be a family member but if I am going through all that I would want it to be for a member of klal Yisrael (not makpid on frum vs non frum etc)

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 11:45 am
I hear you. Your kidney,your choice!
It's a wonderfully exhilarating feeling to have saved one of the Ribbono shel Olam's children.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 10:20 am
To the poster who shared the "Elizabeth and Mary" story on Strangers Podcast, thank so so much! I really enjoyed hearing the saga from the perspective of both donor and recipient . The fourth episode where they discussed the psychological implications of how society views an altruistic donor, really resonated with me.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 10:49 am
I would love to but I'm just plain scared to. I do donate blood and platelets all the time
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics