Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Summer deals roundup thread
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 12:27 am
Thought we can have a thread posting what we are looking for and what deals we find as we start to gear up for summer, to save everyone some time and money. I'll start and you continue!

seeker

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 12:39 am
OK so here's my list so far:

Looking for:
1 - Terry cover-ups or wearable towels for two little girls going to and from swimming pool. Assuming Basic Colors might sell something like this but I haven't been there yet this season, maybe someone can share what the pricing and quality are like so we can compare with online deals that may or may not turn up.
2 - Rain boots for little girl size 9ish (assuming boots run large, because they often do)
3 - Rain boots for me
4 - Considering new bike helmets (is there a city-run safety giveaway in NYC again this year? Last time the line stretched into the next state by the time we got there but this time I'm interested enough to go early and bring a picnic)
5 - Lightweight stainless steel water bottles to send with kids to camp. If I don't find a great deal on these, then a great deal is needed on small pop-top disposable water bottles (do I go for healthy or don't-care-if-gets-lost?)
6 - All-purpose personalizable camp labels for clothes and gear (I hear mabel's labels is good. Is there a good alternative so I don't pin all my hopes on finding a sale on that one pricey brand?)
7 - Healthy sunscreen that won't break the bank, will work well, and will be usable (as opposed to such a thick paste that it will never go on and my kids will look like they bathed in wite-out all summer)

that's all I can think of right now but I'm sure I will be back... trying to get a head start here...

Deals I already found:
1 - Bathing suits at Costco. I'm not a Costco shopper so no idea if they are still there, don't know how long they stock the same things. But I was there with a friend over a month ago and they had excellent tzniusdik (by which I mean one piece, and not too revealing at the chest, back, and bottom) Speedo (!) bathing suits I don't remember exactly the price, maybe $11ish, but definitely cheaper than similar seen online. WARNING: They seem to run somewhat small. I bought a 6 for my DD who is usually size 5 and I wish it were a 7 - will look for a chance to exchange it. It went on but very snug.
2 - Rashguard sets at Costco. UV Skinz, great brand (mine went through 2 kids, 2 summers each, doing fine). Adorable, with matching hats and skirts that are of course short but more coverage than my more expensive lands-end swim skort that barely covers the panties. I think around $18-20, not super cheap for me (bought mine cheap on ebay last time) but an excellent price compared to other retail.
3 - Amazing Savings is the place to go for cheap pool toys like noodles, diving sticks, water squirters, etc.

Goldie613

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 12:43 am
Sunscreen. I'm always on the look out for sunscreen, because if we really used the recommended amount we'd go through a ton of the stuff, and it never seems to be on sale until it's almost the end of the summer.

That and reasonably priced tznius type swimwear for teens. I forget the brand names, but they're basically swimsuits and cover-ups that have sleeves and skirts to them, but are made from swimsuit material. I've yet to actually buy them - I just have the kids get their regular clothes wet and either wait to try off or change, if they're going somewhere that doesn't have separate swimming (think like when walking by the beach or a lake).

Goldie613

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 12:56 am
seeker wrote:

4 - Considering new bike helmets (is there a city-run safety giveaway in NYC again this year? Last time the line stretched into the next state by the time we got there but this time I'm interested enough to go early and bring a picnic)
5 - Lightweight stainless steel water bottles to send with kids to camp. If I don't find a great deal on these, then a great deal is needed on small pop-top disposable water bottles (do I go for healthy or don't-care-if-gets-lost?)

Re the bike helmets - good to know! Any idea how I can get more info about this program?

Re water bottles - some years we've had luck with amazing savings or walmart, especially for plastic ones. You can sometimes also do well with 99 cent stores. By the way, try the baby/toddler section of the 99 cent stores or "value" stores. They often have small water bottles for little ones to use as sippy cups, but I've found that they're great for small water bottles for older kids too.

seeker

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 1:00 am
I hear Basic Colors sells this type of swimwear but I can't swear to it, and for teens that are at the stage where they will likely stay the same size for a number of years and enjoy a lot of water activities, it may be worth investing in the better quality ones but still look for a deal on them (as opposed to basic colors where the price and quality are both cheap)

Oh, and add to my looking for list:
T-shirts for me, casual, lightweight, preferably with great necklines (my neckline is high so even regular good necklines look like I'm wearing a wide neck.) I would really like 3/4 sleeves but many 3/4 sleeves are really too short to stay over the elbow so long sleeve would also do. I'm OK with wearing an undershirt-shell if the neck is too wide but would rather have shirts with sleeves rather than need a full shell in the summer.

seeker

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 1:13 am
OMG it took some digging but they are doing the bike helmets thing again and it is TOMORROW!!! good thing I checked! https://www.facebook.com/event.....8817/

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 1:59 am
Seeker, if you're interested in "don't-care-if-lost" water bottles, I saw cute purple ones at 2 for $1 today at Variety Corner in BP.
Regarding labels, we bought a stamp a few years ago and have been very happy with it. Costly but lasts (about $25?), though ink does need to be replaced. I like that I don't have to iron on or sew on the labels though for some items I need a white/silver laundry marker.
If I see the wearable towels again this year at closeout connections for $7 I'll let you know.

Goldie, we use Bullfrog sunscreen bug repellent spray that is deet free as an all in one for my girls who need 30 SPF and are prone to insect bites. The spray makes application so much easier.
We buy one piece tznius swimwear material dresses at basic colors for $15-20. I usually don't like basic color quality but for some reason for this product we have been very happy (I have one for 2 years and just bought one for dd).

seeker

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 2:09 am
By "don't care if lost" I meant disposable. I would not use and reuse the 99c store type of plastic. I think disposable plastic also isn't great for you but possibly better since you use and toss.

What type of stamp works on clothes and gear?

What is the sunscreen in Bullfrog - is it mineral or chemical?

sky

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 10:41 am
I've been happy with these labels http://label-land.com/stick-n-wear-labels
Not sure how they are price wise It is a Jewish company

mummiedearest

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 10:44 am
seeker, re: boots for your child, amazing savings sells over-the-shoe boots that are really good. I bought them a few years ago from amazon for $50. now amazing savings has them for $12.99. I highly recommend them. just make sure you try out the shoe with the boots in the store. a bulkier sneaker will need a larger size.

studying_torah

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 12:09 pm
Just a caution re spray sunscreen; I also loved the convenience, but I found my kids got sunburns. I think it's because it's harder to get full and even coverage, and if it's a bit breezy the spray goes flying everywhere.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 12:24 pm
I I did some googling and the stamp actually looks like this. How cool is that, cheaper than in the store?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....psc=1
I used one line for our last name and one line for my cell phone number as that is important to be on a child at all times.
Regarding the Bullfrog, it's not natural but is deet free.
As far as the spray feature, I spray it into my palms and then rub it into the children's skin and they get full coverage bh. Been using it for years.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 12:32 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I I did some googling and the stamp actually looks like this. How cool is that, cheaper than in the store?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....psc=1
I used one line for our last name and one line for my cell phone number as that is important to be on a child at all times.
Regarding the Bullfrog, it's not natural but is deet free.
As far as the spray feature, I spray it into my palms and then rub it into the children's skin and they get full coverage bh. Been using it for years.

I have a couple of these stamps. one works well, the other not so much. and they do fade a bit after one wash. there are other stamps out there that may work better, and you can get ones that come with letters/numbers so you can change it as necessary.

seeker

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 12:31 am
Just bumping to keep the summer deals coming...

Leahh

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 9:59 am
Helmet giveaway is today
http://www.theyeshivaworld.com......html

I got raincoats in target for $20. They may be on sale or have a cartwheel offer. Sunscreen also goes on sale in target before the summer and usually has a cartwheel offer. The up and up Brand is just as good as the more expensive ones.

seeker

Post Sun, May 08 2016, 12:37 pm
Does up&up make a natural mineral-based sunscreen without questionable chemicals? I'm not usually super paranoid about these things, I use mainstream soap and such, but when it comes to something I'll be spreading all over my kids multiple times a day and leaving there, I want to be more certain.

seeker

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 12:09 am
Target has kids' swimsuits 25% off this week. I'm just ordering online (using redcard additional 5% off) but if you have access to a store maybe there's a cartwheel to go with it. I'm seeing under $9 for toddler/little kid sizes. Some of them don't look so easy to put on because the straps cross high up, so look out for that. The website is running really slowly for me right now, but it could be an issue on my end. But usually when that's the case imamother is slower than other sites and I'm on here now, aren't I.

Also, I don't know if I'm the only one who goes shopping for a lunchbag for summer rather than for school, but Lands End has some for $11. They seem to be clearancing to start fresh for back-to-school very soon, so there is just about no color selection but I expect it might be a while before we see this kind of pricing again once these go out of stock. And they're lifetime guaranteed.

yogabird

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 11:06 am
Diapers.com has 20% off full-priced saltwater sandals with code SECRET20OFF and free 1-2 day shipping with orders of 49+

seeker

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 8:33 pm
Lands End is on fire tonight. I'm seeing great deals on swimwear for both adults and kids in select sizes, socks, water shoes, sneakers... as well as other random items. 40% off including sale/clearance. forgot the code but I got it from kosheronabudget.com.

It's a little not normal that I am about to spend $300 *after* the discount code but I can't think which things I don't need - I have a bathing suit for each kid ($8 after code! from lands end!), cover ups, socks for summer, socks for school, tights for next winter (this year's all died), two bathing suits for me to try on and return one, a rashguard for me because I never had one. White uniform shirts for rosh chodesh because they didn't have any blue in my size.

If you have a child size 7 or soon to be 7 and have a blue-shirted uniform, this is the cheapest you will probably ever find them. It's obscene. But that's the only size I saw. OK it's not a summer deal but I came to talk about the bathing suits and cover-ups.

seeker

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 8:39 pm
And I can't find the robe shirt thing thread now, so I'll put it here instead in case any of you know where that is:
Does this help?
www.landsend.com/products/wome.....::DL9
www.landsend.com/products/wome.....::OXO
www.landsend.com/products/wome.....::WHI
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains