Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Dont want to be considered "ooter"
Previous  1  2  3

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 2:57 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Any OOT community I know with an established, thirving school has reliable minyanim.

That's an established thriving school. What about the three grades combined and eight kids per class? The Shabbos minyan is reliable.
There is no concept of a child staying home for highschool.
(I don't think any of these things are bad, assuming you have mainstream children and great teachers, it can be the best school experience.)

imaima

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 6:15 am
amother wrote:
hi everyone,
we live in ny now but we really want to buy a house and settle down,
the thing is we cant afford ny prices and we are seriously considering to move out of town where we could buy a nice size house (and hopefully with all our savings ) have no morgage,
BUT
I am very concerned about being considered the "out of towner" and I also dont want my kids to feel that( and probaby be that!) especially when they get shidduch age,
what do all you smart ladies think about this???
tia

Do you realize there is a whole wide world outside of NY? All of us smart ladies who don't live in NY surely don't think we are all nebech and we lose out big time by living where we do.

Fox

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 11:06 am
mommyfirst wrote:
Just for the record , many of us who live in NY are very not "new yorky," a term which I find obnoxiously narrow minded, especially for an open minded OOTer.

Just to make it clear, I wasn't condoning this stereotype -- just reporting that it's come up repeatedly in shidduchim. What's kind of ironic, though, is that a couple of people from Brooklyn have used the term, to the amusement of our references!

tryinghard

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 1:47 pm
facebooknyny wrote:
Don't mean to high jack the thread -
But how are winters in Rochester ?

Honestly? Not really worse than NY. Slightly colder, but we don't get the storms NY gets - we get more "lake-effect" snow - steadily, an inch here, an inch there. The city is more equipped to handle it, so you rarely have a snow day.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 9:07 pm
Iymnok wrote:
That's an established thriving school. What about the three grades combined and eight kids per class? The Shabbos minyan is reliable.
There is no concept of a child staying home for highschool.
(I don't think any of these things are bad, assuming you have mainstream children and great teachers, it can be the best school experience.)

For OP's purposes, I assume she is talking about OOT communities with thriving schools. Nothing wrong with 8 kids per class or 2 grades combined, but if all the grades are combined as a group of 3 with a toal of 8 in that group, then I would not consider it a thriving school and I highly doubt that is what OP is asking about.

I would never lump that together with restaurant options. Schools and shuls are important. Restaurants are luxuries.

pgk

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 12:38 am
I'm an ooter (established community) living in brooklyn and aside for the fact that my dh needs to be near his mommy and bH he has a decent job here, I would move back to where I came from in a heartbeat! Like others mentioned there is a wholesomeness found in oot girls that is very hard to come by in brooklyn. I am constantly telling my kids to stop making fun of Chassidim...sefardim...lubavitch...modern... Or whatever else that is just a little different than us because this is what they pick up in school- everyone must be like me. It is such a super ego-centric lifestyle. Yes there are definitely conveniences (although I have noticed that shopping is far easier in Lakewood these days) and there are a lot of good people here, but if you have the chance to go for a better way of life, run for it and don't look back!

shanie5

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 9:12 pm
I was born and raised in Brooklyn but considered an ooter because I grew up in canarsie.
I now live oot, and when looking at shidduchim for my children, coming from NY is NOT a plus in my book. (Though I wont say no for that reason either).
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating